No announcement yet.

I am a 16 year old girl, wishing to leave from parent's supervision.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am a 16 year old girl, wishing to leave from parent's supervision.

    I am currently 16 years old and a female. Although my parents used to be quite abusive when I was younger (had to call CPS in 8th grade but they did nothing since my bruises were mostly faded), they're no longer physical with me but now instead verbal. I have no audio recordings of what they have told me nor what they have told each other. My mom is finically stable, but I do not think she is mentally stable. Then my dad is mentally stable, but not finically stable. So my problem here is that I want to live elsewhere, with my boyfriend's family, however, I do not think I have the evidence to do so. All I have are my memories of what my parents say which I do not think will hold up in court. My desperate has gotten so far that I am willing to even get pregnant that way I can leave. I have talked to my boyfriend about my issue and he says his family would be willing to take me in, even if I went so far as to pregnancy. I just want to know what I could do in order for me to be happier and away from the verbal abuse within my household.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS- it takes a lot of courage to share your story. We’re sorry that you’re dealing with verbal abuse, no one deserves to be treated that way. Abuse of any kind is never okay. You deserve to feel safe and cared for at home.
    It sounds like you’ve reported abuse in the past with CPS. If you’d like to talk more in depth about the abuse you are experiencing and your options, Child Help might be a helpful resource for you. Child Help is a confidential 24/7 hotline focused on helping minors who are experiencing abuse. They offer crisis intervention, information, and referrals to thousands of emergency, social service, and support services.
    It’s important to know that being pregnant does not mean you can leave home. If you were to move without your parents’ consent, even if you were pregnant, because you are still a minor, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not illegal, but if a runaway report was filed, it is possible that the police could come find you and return you home.
    If you think your parents would be supportive of you living with your boyfriend’s family, another option you have is called an Alternative Living Arrangement. If your guardians give their written permission, you can live with someone else (a relative or family friend, for example) until you turn 18.
    Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    It sounds like the verbal abuse at home is affecting your mental health. If you’d like to talk to a counselor, the National Alliance on Mental Illness has a crisis text-line that you can reach by texting NAMI to 741741. You can also reach them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI, or by visiting their website at
    If you want to talk more in depth about what is going on and find out what resources are available to you, do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or start a chat with us at We are 24/7 and confidential. We are here to listen and here to help.
    Best of Luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Thank you for the response. My problem is that I don’t think I would be able to file for emancipation because I don’t have a job to keep myself stable. My boyfriend’s family is willing to take me in, however, I already know that my parents won’t consent to it. I want to leave. I really do, but I feel as if I’m trapped.


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please call or chat us again if your situation changes or if you have more questions or concerns, or if you need additional support. We are here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY;
        Best of luck,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp