•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod16
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it is very hard to reach out and you show a lot of strength in taking the step of reaching out for information. Now, we are not legal experts but because you are considered a minor and if your parents do have a right to file a missing child report and if you are found by authorities it is a possibility they can detain you until your parents come get you. You can always talk to them and see if they will give you permission to move out since you are almost 18, it seems like you are prepared by having a job and a place to stay for when you do move out, and that is really great initiative.

We can provide some resources if you really do need to get out of your home, you mentioned that life hasn’t been that great, if you walk to talk more in depth about what is going on do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or send us a chat at www.1800runaway.org, we are 24/7 and completely confidential. Thank you again for reaching out, we are help to help you and here for you.
    Last edited by ccsmod16; 11-02-2019, 03:34 PM.

Guest replied
    So I am a 17 year old and I have been wondering if I can legally move out of my home before the age of 18 and sure my life isn't great but I would do a lot better on my own got a room mate all settled but I would like to know for the state of Idaho if I can legally move out at 17 and not be called a "runaway" and such

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have had a great deal of loss. Now you are having issues with your grandfather. Congrats! On obtaining employment and going back to obtain your GED. We are not legal experts, but from what we do understand, you are considered a minor in your state until you turn 18, and your legal guardian is responsible for housing you. If you chose to leave your guardians home, whomever is responsible for you can file a runaway report with your local police department. From what we understand, running away may not be illegal in some places, but it can be considered a status offense. After a report is made, it is up to your local police department to decide what additional steps might be taken. The best way to confirm what consequences you might see if you decide to run away is to reach out to your local police department and ask. You do not need to provide identifying information to ask questions, and it may help you figure out your next steps if you know what the police might do.
    If you do not know how to reach them, or feel that you need help making the call, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you figure out your next steps. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) as well as via chat every day. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

Guest replied
    Im 17 and i have lost many people and grandmother as of my gaurdian and now my grampa as if now my new gaurdian .ive been up and down with him and we have thrown hands but cops handled the situation but my grampa has officially said that if i dont like his rules then i am more than welcome to leave with the clothes on my back and he will call the cops .he gives me everything.i have a job and i go to a trade school working towards a g.e d ..i just feel im ready to go on my own ....i want a straight forward answer from you guys on what i can do ,not a bull******** kiss my ass and try and get me to stay home ******** i wabt yiu to be fully honest with me ...

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that the situation with your foster care is not working out for you. It sounds like you are considering running away, but you have some concerns about the legal consequences if you run to another state. Although we cannot tell you what to do, we will do our best to share information that might help you figure out your next steps.

We are not legal experts, but from what we do understand, you are considered a minor in your state until you turn 18, and your legal guardian is responsible for housing you. If you chose to leave your foster home, whomever is responsible for you can file a runaway report with your local police department. From what we understand, running away may not be illegal in some places, but it can be considered a status offense. After a report is made, it is up to your local police department to decide what additional steps might be taken. The best way to confirm what consequences you might see if you decide to run away is to reach out to your local police department and ask. You do not need to provide identifying information to ask questions, and it may help you figure out your next steps if you know what the police might do.

If you do not know how to reach them, or feel that you need help making the call, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you figure out your next steps. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) as well as via chat every day. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!
    -NRS

Guest replied
    i’m currently in foster care and 17 years old. i hate it here and i’m not allowed to go back home. i have no where to go. i’m not allowed to stay with my grandparents so i was planning to take my care and run away to oregon during the summer before my senior year starts. my birthday is in December so i think i could be able to handle the situation. i’m only concerned about being in trouble with the law. i live in idaho and would hate to get in trouble. i have big plans but continuing to stay here is suicidal. i need to talk to someone about this badly. please give any advice possible....thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a great deal right now and we want to commend your resilience. It is our understanding that if you are considered an adult in your state (18 in most states and 19 and 21 in a few), then you are entitled to live where you please. So, provided that you do not live in MS, AL, or NE, then at 18 years old you would be allowed to move out of your mother’s home. If you need any health resources or have additional questions about your situation, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i am 17. i turn 18 in february (it is the middle of june while writing this post). i am pregnant and due in october, would i be able to move out without my mom forcing me to stay with her?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation and are living in an unsafe environment. Abuse is never okay and we are sorry you are dealing with that. You can make an abuse report by calling The Child Help Line at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making an abuse report can be scary if you would like our help you can give us a call at any time. You also do have the right to call the police at any time.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. Because you are a minor if you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home if they thought it was safe. From what you are describing it may not be a safe environment and the police may investigate if you tell them what is going on. Also a resource that may help you is SAMHSA which is the substance abuse and mental health services administration, they may be able to help with some resources. They can be reached at 1877-726-4727.
    You also mentioned wanting to become emancipated but need parental permission. In some cases you may not need parental permission. To find out more you can always call your local court house and ask about the emancipation process.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 16, turning 17 in a couple of days. My mom is an abusive drunk that lives in filth. She won't let me get a job and is keeping me from doing what best for me and my son. I don't want my son and I to live in this kind of environment. I have looked up on how to get emancipated but they all say I have to have a parent's consent. And I don't know what to do. I have a job opening across the state and I really don't know what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your parents are treating you very unfairly and that must be incredibly frustrating for you. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal for you to leave home and you will not be arrested for running away unless you are doing something that is illegal while you are a runaway. If you leave home, your parents would be entitled to file a runaway report with the police. Typically, this would enable them to pick you up and return you home if they were to encounter you. If you are staying with your grandparents and a runaway report was filed on you, your parents would have the option to press charges against your grandparents for “harboring a runaway”, which is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. This would require your parents to hire a lawyer and take your grandparents to court. While we do not know your family’s dynamic, it would be wise to think about whether or not your parents would pursue something like that. If you would like to talk more about your situation and what other options there are, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am currently 16 and will be 17 in December. I have spoken with my parents about leaving home before and the last response I was given was from my step mom saying “ there’s the door equal opportunity you can get out”. I tried packing my things and as a result was forced to quit my job, cancel any future plans, and grounded to my room for about a week. My grandparents live about 10 minutes from me and told me I always have a place to stay. Can I just leave? Would they get in trouble? Would I be charged with anything for leaving home? I’ve tried looking up legal documents online and can’t find any clear information. Please help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, thank you for your question. Since the kid is 18, he is able to leave home with or without permission. To our knowledge, this doesn’t change even if he is still in school. However, each school district has their own policies; perhaps a teacher or a school guidance counselor would have a more definite response. If you or the youth need resources or have additional questions, please feel free to call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.
    --NRS

Guest replied
    I know of kid that is 18 in Idaho and is senior in high school. He is on the verge of running away from step dad is abusive but can the kid legally move out while he is still in school? I know of family that will help him but they want to make sure they don’t get in trouble with the law.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I'm 15. My mom live in LA and my dad....

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault.
    You have the right to want to be treated fairly.

As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. Okay.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Another option is filing an abuse report. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X