No announcement yet.

Can i move out at 17 in Idaho?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am 17. i turn 18 in february (it is the middle of june while writing this post). i am pregnant and due in october, would i be able to move out without my mom forcing me to stay with her?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a great deal right now and we want to commend your resilience. It is our understanding that if you are considered an adult in your state (18 in most states and 19 and 21 in a few), then you are entitled to live where you please. So, provided that you do not live in MS, AL, or NE, then at 18 years old you would be allowed to move out of your mother’s home. If you need any health resources or have additional questions about your situation, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

i’m currently in foster care and 17 years old. i hate it here and i’m not allowed to go back home. i have no where to go. i’m not allowed to stay with my grandparents so i was planning to take my care and run away to oregon during the summer before my senior year starts. my birthday is in December so i think i could be able to handle the situation. i’m only concerned about being in trouble with the law. i live in idaho and would hate to get in trouble. i have big plans but continuing to stay here is suicidal. i need to talk to someone about this badly. please give any advice possible....thank you

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that the situation with your foster care is not working out for you. It sounds like you are considering running away, but you have some concerns about the legal consequences if you run to another state. Although we cannot tell you what to do, we will do our best to share information that might help you figure out your next steps.

We are not legal experts, but from what we do understand, you are considered a minor in your state until you turn 18, and your legal guardian is responsible for housing you. If you chose to leave your foster home, whomever is responsible for you can file a runaway report with your local police department. From what we understand, running away may not be illegal in some places, but it can be considered a status offense. After a report is made, it is up to your local police department to decide what additional steps might be taken. The best way to confirm what consequences you might see if you decide to run away is to reach out to your local police department and ask. You do not need to provide identifying information to ask questions, and it may help you figure out your next steps if you know what the police might do.

If you do not know how to reach them, or feel that you need help making the call, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you figure out your next steps. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) as well as via chat every day. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!
      -NRS

Im 17 and i have lost many people and grandmother as of my gaurdian and now my grampa as if now my new gaurdian .ive been up and down with him and we have thrown hands but cops handled the situation but my grampa has officially said that if i dont like his rules then i am more than welcome to leave with the clothes on my back and he will call the cops .he gives me everything.i have a job and i go to a trade school working towards a g.e d ..i just feel im ready to go on my own ....i want a straight forward answer from you guys on what i can do ,not a bull******** kiss my ass and try and get me to stay home ******** i wabt yiu to be fully honest with me ...

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have had a great deal of loss. Now you are having issues with your grandfather. Congrats! On obtaining employment and going back to obtain your GED. We are not legal experts, but from what we do understand, you are considered a minor in your state until you turn 18, and your legal guardian is responsible for housing you. If you chose to leave your guardians home, whomever is responsible for you can file a runaway report with your local police department. From what we understand, running away may not be illegal in some places, but it can be considered a status offense. After a report is made, it is up to your local police department to decide what additional steps might be taken. The best way to confirm what consequences you might see if you decide to run away is to reach out to your local police department and ask. You do not need to provide identifying information to ask questions, and it may help you figure out your next steps if you know what the police might do.
      If you do not know how to reach them, or feel that you need help making the call, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you figure out your next steps. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) as well as via chat every day. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

So I am a 17 year old and I have been wondering if I can legally move out of my home before the age of 18 and sure my life isn't great but I would do a lot better on my own got a room mate all settled but I would like to know for the state of Idaho if I can legally move out at 17 and not be called a "runaway" and such

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it is very hard to reach out and you show a lot of strength in taking the step of reaching out for information. Now, we are not legal experts but because you are considered a minor and if your parents do have a right to file a missing child report and if you are found by authorities it is a possibility they can detain you until your parents come get you. You can always talk to them and see if they will give you permission to move out since you are almost 18, it seems like you are prepared by having a job and a place to stay for when you do move out, and that is really great initiative.

We can provide some resources if you really do need to get out of your home, you mentioned that life hasn’t been that great, if you walk to talk more in depth about what is going on do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or send us a chat at www.1800runaway.org, we are 24/7 and completely confidential. Thank you again for reaching out, we are help to help you and here for you.
      Last edited by ccsmod16; 11-02-2019, 04:34 PM.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. At 17, you are still technically a minor in the state of Idaho. With that being said, it all depends on your local police station and how they would handle the situation. You can always reach out to them anonymously and see what they say. We understand that you might not feel comfortable with this. You can always call us at 1800-786-2929 or use our live chat at www.1800runaway.org and we can reach out to them for you. This may feel like a challenging time and we can try to offer you the best support we can. It was really courageous of you to reach out to us.

Take care,
    National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My daughter is 17 has a steady job and wants to move out. If I as her parent give her permission to do so could I get in trouble with the law and or would she we live in Idaho

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are concerned about the rights available to your daughter. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If a teen is under 18 and leaves home without permission, you could file a runaway report with the police. If you were to give your teen permission, then you shouldn’t run into any problems. If you want to talk to someone to explore your options, you can contact us at 1800-RUNAWAY. Remember we are 24/7, confidential and here to help!

hello yall i turn 17 in december. i need to move out i have lived with a close friend. there was a fight and it got me thrown to the ground by my dad. and i have a mentally abusive step mother. i have to earn my food and or pay for it if i want it. they put locks on the fridge and lock the pantry. they are over controlling. i even began getting jobs at age 12 and got payed under the table. payed for my own phone a lot of my clothes everything. parents lie and are very controlling. I always smell like cigarettes and i dont want nore need the move to ohio for my birth mom. i have a job i attend school with great grades and believe that there is a way i can stay with my close friend. with this friend i have stayed 3 weeks at and was just now forced to go home... she helped me drive provided safe places and school transportation along with a medical band that i was supposed to have along time ago. now that im back at my house depression appears all the time have no privacy and even in bed at 7 laying down for hours. is there anything or any papers i can get that would allow me to live with my close friend that had permission b4 from my dad. I need to move back with my friend cindi and her family where im both safe mentally and physically. any ideas Parents are only letting me go to church

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. This would probably be the best option for someone in your position as it seems you are being abused and there should be someone of authority who gets involved. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe, NRS

Hi, I am 16 and I will be 17 in January. I live in Idaho and I have been dealing with some issues at home and I have been dealing with them for four years now. My mom has been getting into arguments with me. She says very terrible things and is always criticizing me, calling me names, manipulating my words, always making me feel like I’m wrong, and lying to other people about my behavior at home. She does have a drinking problem and when she is drunk she just screams at me. Recently she had told me to get out and leave and that I have 24 hours to move out but she then says if I leave she will call the cops and call me in as a runaway. I have on recording of her yelling and screaming at me and telling me to leave. Over the years I have developed bad anger issues, depression, anxiety and I used to self harm a lot. I do not want to tell my parents that I am having these problems because they won’t care and think I’m just looking for attention. I also won’t talk to them because it is mainly because of them. If I runaway, I have a place to stay but I do not want to go there because I don’t want to get the people I stay with in trouble. If I stay with those people I will have a job and be able to go to school. I also have though about emancipation but I don’t know how I would go about it. I have in the past taken care of myself. What could I do legally in Idaho to move out without their permission and not stay with a foster home and possibly get emancipated? What laws restrict me in Idaho?

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

Emancipation is a long and very expensive process. It is very rare that it is granted, but that may be something you want to pursue. You would need to speak with a legal representative to get more specific information for your city and state regarding the laws. It may help that you do have audio documenting the things your mother is saying to you, which is very responsible of you. If she were to call the police, that may be something you could show them to show you were being kicked out rather than running away.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Be safe,

NRS

My daughter is 16 and an 29 yr old is not bringing her home and just letting her stay at her house

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that your daughter is 16, and dating a 29 year old who is letting her stay in his home. You’re really brave for enduring everything that you’re going through right now, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If your daughter has been gone for quit sometime, you’re still held responsible for her well being. You may contact the authorities and file a runaway report. We’re not legal experts, but whoever they end up finding her with, may face some charges for harboring a runaway. If you need help with parents empowerment, you can contact the Team H.O.P.E organization at 1866) 305-4673.

We hope that the resources and information provided to you have been of some help. If you need additional help, you can reach out to us anytime 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X