No announcement yet.

Can i move out at 17 in Idaho?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i move out at 17 in Idaho?

Im 17 and i live in Idaho. Ive never been able to get along with my parents because of the way that they have always compared me to my brother, and also because of the way that they treat me.(Verbally/Physically) lately this problem has gotten worse between my parents and i in both areas, and its getting more and more toxic for me as I have to take supplements to sleep now and am under constant stress. My parents are the most strict people and because of that I haven't mentioned the fact that im looking to get out of there because it would unleash all hell. I dont have anyone really to reach out to because my brother is exactly like my parents, and he would not let me move in with him. can I move out, and if so, how would i do it? I would appreciate some help.

Re: Can i move out at 17 in Idaho?

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that living at home has become such a toxic environment for you. It must be really hard feeling like you do not have anyone that you can confide in. We know that you are not alone and that you can always talk to us about what is going on. You mentioned that you would like to find a way to move out. Unfortunately to our knowledge the only way that this can be possible is if you are declared emancipated by a judge or if Child Protective Services take away your parents’ rights. And since you mentioned that there have been verbal and physical issues at home maybe this is something that you would like to report to get CPS involved. https://www.childhelp.org/ is a site that can give you more information about defining abuse, how to report it, and what happens after reporting. As mentioned before you are not alone and we hope this information helps if you need anything else you are more than welcome to give us a call. 1-800-RUNAWAY
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hey im turning 17 in january i cant handlw the pressure ive been in in my parents house i have been through so much to abuse and it changed over the years to verbally being abused ive been forced to believe and be in a religion i dont believe in and its effecting my life staying here is risking my life in matters if i dont get out of her for sure i wont last a week here id probably committ sucide bc ive kept this for years i wont be able to hold on i dont feel comfortable here and ive been waiting for 8 years ive been waitjng to turn 18 for the sake ill be free but now i cant handle the pressure im in i have no money no job i go homeachooling and i have no place to stay not even money for food id probably starve for the first night out please help! I want to leave asap bc i cant atay here for sure

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We know that it takes a lot of courage to reach out to ask for help and that it can be difficult.

You mentioned feeling suicidal and we would want you to know that you are not alone and your life is valuable. If you ever feel that you want to talk to someone you can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They are there to listen and to support. We are also 24/7 and can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need someone to talk to.

You deserve to be accepted for who you are and what you believe. Do you have any friends or family members that could advocate for you to your parents? We have a conference call service here where a liner can help mediate a conversation between you and your parents where you can voice your feelings and come up with solutions. Don't hesitate to reach out if that is something you would be interested in.

Another thing to think about is that if you were to runaway and your parents file a report you could be returned home. One thing you could do would be to reach out to your local police and inquire about whether a 17 year old would be returned home if found. We are not legal experts and every city is different so that would be the way to find out.

We are here if you decide you want to make a plan for yourself to leave. We would be able to look up possible shelters and other resources you might need.

Good luck,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I am 17, turning 18 in 6 months, my dad is on drugs and my mother is abusive, I have the option to live with my sister who is 20, and need to know if she will get in trouble for letting me live with her without permission. Please let me know ASAP

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation.

It sounds like your parents have put you in a tough situation. Only your legal guardian, can give you permission to move out or to report you as a runaway. We’re not legal experts, but from our general knowledge, running away is not illegal. If you runaway, your mom can make a runaway report. The police don't always actively look for you, if they come across you, then they usually bring you home. You mentioned that you have a sister who’s offering to take you in, we’re so glad to hear that you have someone who is supportive. Regarding her getting into trouble, there is a misdemeanor charge called “harboring a runaway”. It’s really not common and it costs money for parents to take your sister to court. We rarely hear about people getting into trouble for letting a runaway stay with them.

We hope our response is helpful. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center if you'd like to talk more about your situation.

Be safe, NRS

Hello, I am currently 16, going to be 17 in October. I live in Idaho, where running away is illegal. My parents got divorced about 2 years ago and it was ugly. Ever since then my mom has been drinking excessively, she has been violent and has kicked me out while she was drunk for no reason. She leaves me home multiple nights alone without a text and brings people random people over drunk (men and women). My dad is mentally abusive and a sociopath. I have been physically and mentally sick for years now, but it isn't crippling. They are in the middle of a custody battle and I have no healthy, safe options. I need help. I have been having thoughts of running away, and so far, the chance of me doing that is high.
          1) If I do not involve anyone, will I personally get punished for running away(after I turn 1
          2) It is illegal for others to house me, but if I were to go into another state where it isn't will they still be charged.
          3) is there a shelter that will house me and will it be legal. Can I avoid police through them?
          Please get back to me asap. I fear running away only because I have my dog with me and it would not be healthy for her.

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello thank you for contacting the NRS. We are sorry to hear that you have been put in the middle of this custody battle with no good options for you. We are here to listen and will help in any way we can. One thing that may be important to note is that while you are a minor in your state it is illegal for your mother to kick you out of the home because it can be considered neglect.
            It seems like your mom may be dealing with some alcoholism and may be abusive towards you. If you would like to report the abuse you can reach out to your local CPS, OR police in an emergency situation to make a report. If you would like help making these reports we can do so on a conference call. Another resource for child abuse reporting is Child Help. You can call them at 1800-422-4453, or go to www.childhelp.org . Your main concern seems to be running away as your dad is not a foreseeable positive alternative to staying with your mom. We can try to help you find youth shelters in your area if you call in to our hotline at 1800-786-2929. Unfortunately this may be tough considering you are still trying to keep your dog and some shelter may not accept pets. We will still try to locate the best option for you. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
            We hope this information was helpful. We are open 24/7, confidential and toll free. You can reach us by phone at 1800-RUNAWAY or online at 1800runaway.org. Take Care.
            -NRS

I turn 18 in 3 months and I want to live with my mom (in Idaho) instead of my dad (in California) now. There’s no abuse, it’s just what I want for myself. My dad is very strict and I’m nervous that he’ll get police involved with my mom. Is there anything he can actually do?

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a rough spot trying to move to your mom's before you turn 18. If your mom has any custody rights it might be possible to move in with her before turning 18. You might reach out to her and see if she does have those rights and if she is willing to house you. We are not legal experts or custody experts by any means, but generally older teens can have more of a say with what parent they live with. If your mom does not have custody rights, you might see if she can talk to your dad for you and gain permission to live with her. It is legal for you to live anywhere safe with the permission on your guardian.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian in Idaho and California. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you leave home without permission before turning 18, your dad may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case; especially since you are so close to turning 18. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you could be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. So if your mom has no custody rights over you, she could be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police in California and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

We hope this information is helpful! Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS

So I am 18 and my parents are treating me like I am 12. They told me that personally because the doctors said I am mentally 12. And they took my phone away at the age of 18. Can they do that? And Can I also move out still if I feel like I am ready?

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we know that it takes courage to reach out and we are glad that you had the courage to take the first steps into reaching out. It sounds like you are going through a very frustrating time right now. We are sorry that your parents took your phone away. Unfortunately if they pay your phone bill they may be able to take it away whenever they want. If they do not pay your phone bill they should not be able to take your phone away. In Idaho the legal age for one to move out legally is 18 years old. So to answer your question, if you are ready to move out you can legally move out of your home at 18. If you are planning on leaving your home you may want to think about where you will stay, what you will do for money, and how you will be eating. We hope this information was useful in your situation. If you have any other questions or want to talk more about your situation feel free to give us a call we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck!
            NRS

hello, i am 17, turning 18 in a few months. i have struggled with depression, stress, constant bullying not just in school, but in public by people i know and random strangers. i have been dealing with these problems since i was in grade school (3rd grade-present day) i really need to leave home. maybe move in with a friend or family but i need to be in a new environment. i know my parents love me but i do not think they know how to help me. i have talked with them many times about my situation and whats going on but nothing happens. i feel like things are just getting worse for me. not just physically but also mentally. i will admit i do hear voices and see shadows, and i have told my parents about these problems. still nothing happens. i have tried medicine, meditation, health clinics and other ways to remove or at least lessen the pain i feel. after along time of thinking about my options i think the best would be to leave the home/ town/ environment i am in. there is just too much stress, drama, and other things that has been taking a hard toll on not just my body but also my mind.

if you have any information or anything that might help my situation i would really appreciate it. thank you so much...

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the bravery to share your story with us. We are sorry to hear that you haven’t been treated with the respect and dignity you deserve. We understand that caring for your mental health is important, and that you have tried to make this clear to your family. You’ve been very strong to try your best despite the circumstances.

We would encourage you, if you haven’t already, to consider what places would be available as a change of scenery, whether it would be staying with a family member or a friend. Additionally, how you would need to balance your mental health care with school and addressing your other needs. An option could be an alternative living arrangement, where a trusted adult could take you in with your parent’s consent.

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution that you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.

We hope this information was helpful and take care.

Hi I’m 17 years old and want to move out. I have a job now and also a job set up for if I do move. I have a house with my boyfriends grandparents that they said I could move into. The reason I want to leave is because I’m being verbally abused by my mother and even though it’s never gotten physical I don’t feel comfortable living here anymore I’d like to know if I could move out please help thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

Thank you ever so much for reaching out to us. We realize you’re going through a difficult time, and really commend you for having the courage to ask for help. It sounds like you’re looking to move out at the age of 17, and you have concerns about whether you’d be able to do so. We’ll do our best to share as much information as we can so that you can make an informed decision.

We are so sorry to hear that things at home with your mom have been so challenging. It’s not ok for anyone to be verbally abusive towards you, and it sounds like you’ve tried your hardest to make the best of a really difficult situation. If you ever feel like you’d like to report what’s going on with your mom, agencies like Child Help can help you locate your local child abuse hotline. They can be reached at 1.800.422.4453. If you want to talk to someone about your situation, or explore other resources that might be helpful, you are always welcome to reach out to us. We’re here for you 24/7.

Typically, if you are considered a minor in your state, you would be unable to move out without parental consent until you reach the legal age of adulthood, which in most states is 18 years of age. We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you are considered a minor in your state and you leave your home without parent/legal guardian consent, your parent/legal guardian can file a runaway report with your local police department. While in many states running away is not illegal, it is considered a status offense in some states; with that said, even if it is not illegal for you to run away, it may be illegal for anyone to house you, and they can be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting a minor, both considered misdemeanors in many states. Typically, if are reported as a runaway and you’re found by local police, they would either try to return you home or have your parent/legal guardian pick you up. If you have questions about how runaway reports work in your area, contacting your local police department at their non-emergency number is a good option.

We’re glad to hear that you have job now, and you’ve prepared for the possibility of moving out with supportive people like your boyfriend’s grandparents and a job in a more ideal location. If you have additional questions, or would like help in contacting your local police department, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re available by phone 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or via our chat service. We hope that this information has been helpful, and look forward to your call/chat. We wish you the very best of luck. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

NRS

I'm 15. My mom live in LA and my dad lives in Boise,Idaho. My mom is verbally abusive.I have reported. My dad just throws punches next to my face. Is there a way that I can move out? I dont know what laws I have to go by. Do I go by California's or idahos. I am very confused pls help.
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-04-2019, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Reply: I'm 15. My mom live in LA and my dad....

Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault.
            You have the right to want to be treated fairly.

As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. Okay.
            While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
            Another option is filing an abuse report. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X