Moving out a month before turning 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out a month before turning 18

Hi I’m currently 17 and a month away from 18. Can I move out now? My parents and I don’t see eye to eye about anything and I already have everything lined up for moving out. I just don’t want to have the police get involved

Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you were trying to move out, and already have a plan in place. You’re really brave for taking on this next step in your life. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor, and the legal guardians are responsible for the youth until the legal age in your city and state. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some charges for harboring a runaway. An option you can explore would be to wait until you’re of legal age, and talk to your parents then about wanting to move out on your own. With you being 17, it is a gray area since you’re still a minor, so you may want to consider reaching out to your local non-emergency phone number about runaway laws in your area.

We hope that these options can be of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can call us 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X