No announcement yet.

I’m 16 and want to get away from my father in any way I can.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 16 and want to get away from my father in any way I can.

    I’ve been emotionally (mentally?) abused by my father my whole life. Although I love my mother, she’s refused to acknowledge the repercussions of my father’s actions on my mental wellbeing. I’ve been depressed for about 4 years but I feel like I’ve been depressed my whole life. I’ve begun having horribly suicidal thoughts lately, now more than ever. I turned 16 months ago and I’m desperately seeking any way I can legally leave my house. I want to move out and hopefully continue schooling where I am but if I have to end up moving to another town/state or run away, I will. I’m not sure about who I can consult on the matter or what I can do to fully legally move out, with or without my parents consent. Although I’m fairly certain my parents won’t give consent. I’m just not sure on the process or how to even get started. There is a shelter near by but other than that I don’t think I have any other options. I don’t have a job but if I will definitely look into any opportunities if I have to.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,

    We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove