Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some intense stuff and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize their safety and their well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 years old.And,my parents are actually very toxic.Like,they don't give me any personal freedom,they are very controlling too!!I'm not that good at studying....So they take me as a burden...due to my poor marks in exams....And,tells me that they will get me married at 18.They tell me that I can only study and become something.So,they completely crushed my dreams of becoming a Painter.I can only study and then find a job....and if I can't do this then they will get me married at 18 forcefully.... But..now I gave up on my dreams of becoming a Painter.They made fun of my dreams,so what can I do?They do love me,but they are overprotective,manipulative....
    There are online singing auditions....I'm thinking about participating in them.And,now I want to become a singer....but my parents don't know about this.I'm thinking about auditioning without my parents knowing,when I become 16.So,if you get accepted in those auditions then you will be called in that country(Korea).Actually it's an online kpop audition...it's not possible to explain u here....you may search in google how the auditions are actually.So,can move to korea without my parents knowing?I mean...If i accepted in that audition...then there willn't be any problem..right?
    please..help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to us and explaining a little bit more about what's been going on.

We are sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out.
    If your legal guardians or parents are not taking care of you and providing for you that is considered as neglect. You can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can provide you more information on filing a reports with department of children and family services.

We are not legal experts but your parents are responsible for you until you turn 18. You can stay with any adult with your parents permission in most cases. Generally speaking running away is not a crime and if your parents are to file a police report the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway and get in trouble with the law. If you need legal help you can find legal resources at www.lawhelp.org

Coping with all this stress can be hard. It can be helpful to talk to a school counselor or another therapist. Practicing good coping skills on a regular basis can help reduce the stress. Trying to do things you enjoy everyday can be helpful. Exercising, meditating, journaling, listening to music, reading, talking to friends can be some things to consider.

You are not alone and we are here to support you through this. If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey, I am a 16 year old girl in Missouri. The law used to be a that at 17 can move out without parents consent. The law is going to change and I just missed the deadline because of my brithday. All my mom does is get high my and yells till I break down in tears, my stepfather is an alcoholic. My real father wants nothing to do with me. I ran away when I was 13 but it keeps getting worst. My aunt and uncle, and my grandparents want me to live with him but can I do that with my parents knowing? I am not allowed to get a job, so I can't get emaciated. I really don't know what to do. I am getting mentally abused and there nothing I can do about it. If I wanted to live my Aunt and uncle or my grandparents can i, or will make my mom make me stay?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your step-mother. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern, which it does sound like is the case for you. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So i live in oklahoma and I'm 15. I list my mom when I was 10 to drugs and I was forced to live with my dad and his girlfriend. She's emotionally abusive and I'm not even in a very stable hone. They both work off so I stay with my sister until one of the gets home. It doesn't even feel like hone anymore. I feel suc stock and lost. I'm scared to really reach out for help because I just got in trouble pretty bad and I'm worried whoever ill try to talk to will think I'm just throwing a fit but ive been wanting it off this horse for a really long time. I have friends who've witnessed my step moms freak outs. She's acted like she was gong to hit me a few times and she's slapped me once and got me with an ATV. Not hard but still. Weve gotten into some Really really bad fights. I want to get out so bad but I'm only 15 and don't know what to do. My dad most definitely won't let me out and I'm scared of what will happen if im returned home. Is there a way out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. We are sorry to hear about your situation, no one deserves to be treated that way, especially by someone who is supposed be a support system for you.

It is important to know that you have options and resources to help advocate for yourself. A great resource for you could be the National Child Abuse Hotline. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453. You can call them anonymously to learn about the abuse reporting process, or directly report abuse to this line. They are a good resource for talking through your options if there is verbal/physical abuse going on at home.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is very important. While we are not legal experts, running away is not considered illegal. However, since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in an unsafe environment. If you left home and decided to stay with a relative or friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct. We can also be reached via live chat anytime.

Best Wishes

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 13 and want to live with my aunt or grandma because my parents are very controlling and toxic and really bad for my health right now since I was 10 I don’t feel like smiling or being happy when they are around and they always scream at me and boss me around and if I try asking them if my brother can do it they tell at me and ground me and I feel so trapped in this house they ruined my happiness and beat me if I don’t follow what they say for example I was on a call with my friend and they got mad at me and punched me until I was bleeding everywhere can someone please tell me what to do I’m too scared to call child services or anything cuz I feel like they won’t help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Generally, the above laws stay true even if those you runaway to are other family or former guardians. Your dad might be able to challenge her full custody or file for emergency custody while a custody battle takes place. It is also possible that if court proceedings have started police wouldn’t take any action until after the court has made a decision.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi im 16 years old and I'm just really fed up with living with my mom and step dad and I just wanted to know if its legal for me to live with my dad without consent but when my mom and dad got divorced she got custody of me and all I'm really trying to figure out is if I leave to live with my dad will my mom be able to take me out of his house and take me home or even call the cops or something to get me back?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear that things at home with Mom have been so difficult, and we commend you for reaching out for help. We hope that we can meet your needs!

It sounds like your Mom has cut you off from many of the things that keep you stable and happy, and has tried but failed to do this even with your boyfriend. This must be really hard and frustrating. Sometimes in an effort to protect their youth, parents deny them the very freedom they need to grow and learn. It sounds like this may be happening with you. When things get really bad at home, it can help to consider your inner strengths, which cannot be taken away. Taking good care of yourself by writing, reading, drawing, listening to music or going on walks can be powerful ways to stay grounded in these really tough moments.

You also wrote about running away. This takes a lot of bravery, and it sounds like you have put some good, mature thought into it. It always helps to think about where you will go, how you will get there, and what you will do once there. It sounds like you have solid options for where to go. You might also consider that sometimes a parent of a runaway will call the police. While running away is never illegal, it is a status offense, meaning basically that you just are not supposed to do it. If you are reported as a runaway to the police, they will simply make a good effort to try to find you and, if they do, they will bring you back home. It may be worth your time to think about whether or not Mom will call the police.

You might also consider emancipation. This is a really long and involved process, but for some youth it is worth it. If you ever want to talk more about this, we encourage you to reach out to us by phone or instant message (1800-RUNAWAY or 1800runaway.org).

You have been quite mature in reaching out today. We wish you the best of luck. It is not easy, but you are taking the journey step by step, and clearly have the will to make things better. This is important. Stay safe and strong out there.

Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m currently 16 and living with my mom in Kansas. Me and my mom have had many falling outs and overall I’d say she’s a very strict parent. She took away my phone, car, made me quit my job, and she even took the door to my room off it’s hinges. She tried to press charges on my 18 year old boyfriend which is something she can’t do considering the legal age of consent in Kansas is 16. I have many people I could go stay with and still finish out high school at the same place I just don’t want to stay in this toxic household. My mom won’t let me get in contact with anybody and has traumatized me at this point. My dad is out of the picture and I wouldn’t want to go an hour away to live with him and he also doesn’t have custody over me. I just want to know if there’s anything I could do to get out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. You mentioned that you left to live with your aunt because you tried to take your own life. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

It seems like you are in a sticky situation right now because you live with your aunt but it seems like your mom is still your guardian. It could be a good idea to talk to your aunt about her becoming your legal guardian (which means she would have final say over what's going on). Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    hello, so my mom has been mentally abusing me for the past 3-4 months. The first month it happened I moved out because I tried killing myself becuase it got really bad. I live with my aunt now but she is trying to control my aunt and telling her I cant go anywhere or see anyone. Can she make those desicsios if I moved out? do I have to listen to her even if I dont live in her household anymore?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on at home with your mom. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative (like your grandma), or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X