Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod8
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello –

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you out through your crisis, there are others going through something similar can also get the help that they need. It certainly sounds like you have been going through a really difficult time living at home with your mother. No one deserves to be treated that way at all or made to feel like they don’t belong somewhere or that their feelings aren’t valid. You deserve so much more than to just be put down all the time or even abused. It can be frustrating not knowing what the next steps are going to be.

As you probably have seen countless times on this thread alone, we have answered the questions about what would happen if you were to leave from home without permission. So please re-read a few post to gather more information about that, but if you still have questions don’t hesitate to call or try chatting with us. A youth may get written permission to leave elsewhere, but it would have to come for their own parents not your father since he doesn’t have custody over your friend. If you guys both leave home, it would just be that the both of you would be considered runaways and potentially brought back to your respective homes.

If you still have questions, please reach out to us.

Guest replied
    I'm about to turn 15 in October im currently living with my mom who alienates me from my family, she puts her hands on me constantly,doesn't let me outside to hang out with none of my friends doesn't financially support me, uses medical conditions as to why I dont agree with her opinion, and forced me on meds so she could tolerate me. My dad lives in another state but he has false warrants and cant come get me bc my mom doesn't like him and if he tried she will lock him up is it legal for me to find my way across state lines and not be sent back if my current household is toxic or does it go based off of state laws oh and I want to bring a friend would that be okay if my father was given permission in a written statement

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that things with your family have gotten to the point where you would like to leave. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. As far as we know, so long as you are a minor, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police if you leave home without their permission. While it is not illegal to run away and you will not be arrested for it, if your parents file a runaway report then the police can notify them and return you home if they find you. However, these things can vary from state to state so it may be a good idea to talk to your brother about what happened when he did it and what his experience was like. If you want to talk more specifically about what’s going on, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 16 and I am just tired of living with my family it’s a lot to explain and type. But could I get in trouble if I leave and move in with other family. But get this. We were never aloud to really go over to this other family’s house. Only on special occasions like Xmas birthdays and ya that’s it. My brother did the same thing but he was 17.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Thank you for reaching out to us, were sorry that home has become mentally draining for you. For running away from home, at age 16 in North Carolina you are considered a minor. If you decided to run away from home your parents could file a runaway report. Which means if the cops were to find you, they would most likely return you home. You are close to age of minority, when you turn 17 you can leave without your parents’ consent. We must disclose that we are not legal experts, but if you want to look in for more options please give us a call. We know earlier you mentioned suicide, and NRS we care about your safety and we wouldn’t want to put that in danger. If you have these feelings again please call National Suicide Prevention Hotline or call 911. It sounds like you’ve been battling with your parents for a while and it might have gotten physical, we encourage you call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They can be support and information for your situation. If things escalate at any point don’t hesitate to call 911 at any time. If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to call us at 1-800-786-2929 we are 24/7.

Guest replied
    Hi. I’m a 16 year old girl living in North Carolina. My parents are excessively horrible to me and I believe I am suffering from Emotional Abuse. When I point out that something my dad is doing is child abuse, and that I would call the cops if I did it again, he took away my room, and he took away my closet. He ransacked my room and threw everything out into the loft. He tells me that i will have horrible consequences if I try and put my clothes back in my closet, and he won’t let me go back to my room. He won’t let me use a spare room which has a mattress in it to sleep either. I don’t know what to do. I have a driver’s permit, but not a license. I can’t leave. I have recently been having suicidal thoughts and extreme depression because I don’t know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello, thank you for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like your girlfriend is going through a really difficult time and you are concerned for her safety. We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information. If she leaves home without the permission of her guardian, they do have the right to file a runaway report. She would not be arrested, but if police located her then she would be returned home.

It sounds like her mom and step father are not making home safe for your girlfriend. We are not quite sure what is going on but if she is experiencing abuse or neglect then she has the right to report it. The national child abuse hotline (1-800-422-4453) can give her more information and help her file a report if she chooses to go that route.

We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org if you or your girlfriend would like to talk more about the situation.

Good luck,
    NRS

• ccsmod13
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you have been having a difficult time at home and you are considering leaving home. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information. If you leave home before you turn 18, your parent has the right to file a runaway report. This does not mean you will be arrested, but if the police know where you are then they will likely return you home. We can facilitate a conference call between you and your parent if you felt comfortable to advocate for your needs and help you ask your parent for permission to live somewhere else. We encourage you to talk to people you trust like another family member, a friend, or another adult you trust for support in this situation.

There is also the option of filing an abuse report. Mental and emotional abuse can be hard to prove, but there is the possibility that child protective service would intervene if they found your home unsafe. If you would like more information about abuse reporting you can call the national child abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453.

Please do not hesitate to call (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us (1800runaway.org) to talk more about your situation and explore options. We are 24/7 and confidential.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My lesbian lover will be turning 16 in 5 months , her birth dad is in jail and her mom and step father isnt stable and she just really hates it there can she leave now instead of waiting till she actually 16. i wanna know if she could get arrested and sent back home . i live in texas .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m an sixteen and I live in West Virginia how do I move in with someone else because I am being mentally abuses

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little about what's been going on. Until you are 18 you are considered a minor and cannot legally move out on your own. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents (or guardians) can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents/guardians.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - no one deserves to be abused in any way. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air between you and your stepfather about the emotional abuse that has been going on. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your stepfather and mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in-depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    How old do I have to be to move out? I'm 16 about to be 17 in 6 months but I dont know how much longer I can wait.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 16. I will be 17 in five and a half months. I live in Texas. My step father yells a lot my mother has depression. I read the emotional abuse signs in a child and half of them fit. I live in Texas and everyone says you can not move out till you are 18 but I don't think waiting that long is a good idea for me. What do I do to get out of here as soon as possible??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X