Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You deserve to be getting the support that you need to heal from your trauma.

It sounds like you are interested in emancipation.  We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works.  Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation.  In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents.  It also helps to be in good standing at school.  The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18.  The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.  We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Be safe,
    NRS
    1-800-786-2929; 1800runaway.org

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 16 and I hate living with my parents my mom yells at me for everything and I’m such a good kid and I’ve gone through so much my mom emotionally abuses me and my dad too and I hate living here she messes with my mental health so much it makes me want to kill myself and then she acts like nothing ever happened and I think she’s bipolar idk but everytime I tell her I have anxiety or I’m having flashbacks due to my trauma she just says push through that’s life when she wants me to go to a store with her and if I tell her no she screams at me at me and says to push through when I have horrific trauma and she says that I’m ungrateful when I’m so greatful and she cusses at me she threatens to kick me out when I say no to her or if I say I’m going to my dads even though I don’t want too it sucks im In a really bad position any advice and I want to get that empaction thing

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. I am so sorry to hear about the situation you are living in as it certainly makes for a very unhappy environment for you. Let me see if I can be of assistance to you. First, please keep in mind that NRS is not an organization than can offer legal information or legal advise to anyone who reaches out to us. That said, we do have a large database of resources that we can look through to help guide you and we can assist in offering knowledge to make your moves more educated and above all safe. If you are able to contact us by calling in (1-800-Runaway) or via chat (www.1800runaway.org) we will can take a look at providing Resources based upon where you are located in Florida.

Being 15, it is unlikely to have a friend (who is a minor but emancipated) take over guardianship for you. Even if you are able to get a driver’s license and a job to save money, the person taking guardianship must be an adult and offer proof of finances, proof of safe place to live, be emotionally mature and will be likely be quite costly. Guardians would also be responsible for your schooling, and any medical situations which may come up. To get guardianship, your parents would likely have to sign off on everything in court. Additionally, being in Florida the legal age to leave home without parents permission is 18 so there is a good chance you would get returned to your home and that is something that worries you. Your parents would have a difficult time giving up your wellbeing without possibly being charged with neglect.

Hopefully this has helped you a bit. Living in a situation where one is afraid to come out and at the same time being forced to follow specific religious beliefs is VERY difficult but we are here to help you through this. As there was a mention of suicide in your email, should you really get to that point, we encourage you to seek immediate help by reaching out to a counselor at the Nat’l Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. I hope that you will reach out to us at the number/website we have available for the National Runaway Safeline so we can get you connected with the right people to help you.

Take good care!!

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a very hard situation at home, and are seeking to leave. We are glad you have contacted us for help.
    It is important you know first of all that physical, emotional, and sexual abuse are never okay. You should not have to endure these abuses, nor be threatened with them, in your own home. You deserve to live somewhere where you are safe and comfortable, and we are so sorry this has not been the case for you for so long.
    It sounds like there are some real concerns around custody issues in the family. We are not legal experts here, so we cannot speak to what may happen if you leave with Mom and your sibling without ensuring the proper custody arrangement. You may find it useful to talk to a lawyer. We can provide you with numbers for legal services that serve families and children in your state. Sometimes these lawyers will be able to talk for free over the phone and provide insight or advice. That said, you should not have to wait until custody is arranged to be safe from your Dad. You can, at any time, report these abuses to CPS. If you need information about this, or want to further understand it, or even if you are ready to report, you can start by calling Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They are there to help you through this tough time. Child abuse reporting can have quick turn-around. Often a caseworker will be at your home to investigate within 48 hours. This is a strong solution then to the immediate danger you face at home.
    We hope you have found some of this information useful. If you need more, or want to continue talking about what is going on at home, we are always here. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY, and we are available to listen, to help. You might also consider reaching out to the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network at 1-800-656-4673 to seek help and support in the wake of your sexual abuse at home.
    You are strong and brave to have reached out. We wish for the best for you. Stay safe.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I currently live in an abusive and forceful home. My parents are homophobic/transphobic to the point where if I come out, I fear for my safety. They also emotionally/verbally abuse me constantly and refuse to get me help or speak with a doctor for my severe depression. I can't stand living here and being forced to be in a suffocating religious and phobic household and a part of me still wants to live despite being suicidal. I'm only 15 but I have been making plans to leave my home by next year with a friend of mine. I reside in Florida currently but will be moving up north. Is there any way that a friend (minor), who is already emancipated, can sign off on my documents/ be a guardian for me? I will be leaving but I don't want to be brought back because I'm terrified of what could happen if they see me again. I don't have a phone because they took it since they found out I have friends and are constantly watching me during my school hours online- so I cannot contact anyone who I think could help me out. I have tried speaking with them about it and in turn it just got worse. I would hate to go to court only because I feel as though my case wouldn't be strong enough to emancipate me. I plan to obtain a drivers license and a job sometime by the end of this year to help my journey- is there any way i can successfully live off somewhere else without that risk of being brought home? Or being signed off by a separate emancipated individual?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im 15 turning 16 in a month and I want to leave my toxic household I have a Safe place to stay with my family member. My dad has mentally, physically, and sexually abused and me, my 17 year old brother, and mom are scared to leave because where scared of him because my brother is not my mom son he’s my dad son and my mom doesn’t have my custody because she gave it to him in order for me to come to this country but they’re still legally married and I don’t know what to do I just know I want to leave my phone in the most smart way possible where my dad won’t be able to bring me back.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It must be so hard to have to go through this situation, and you are strong for having to go through it.

We know you mentioned being abused, and we want you to know that you do not deserve to be abused in any way. You do have a right to report the abuse and there are a few ways you can go about doing this. One option to consider would be to call Child Help at : 1800-422-4453 and they would be able to take an abuse report. Another option to consider would be to talk with a teacher or school counselor and they can help you with a report. You can also call us or chat with us and we can help you file a report and answer any questions you may have about filing a report.

It is unfair that they do not allow you to do certain things and you do not have freedom. Having suicidal thoughts is really tough, and you do not have to deal with this alone. If you are ever feeling suicidal or even just need to vent please reach out. You can contact The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. We want you to know you are important and you are worth living.

We know you mentioned wanting to leave which is understandable given your situation. Because you are a minor it is a possibility if you were to leave without permission you could be brought back. Please reach out to us if you would like to discuss this situation further or explore your options. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, Im currently 16 my parents have mentally abused me and physically and said they were for my own good. They won't even let me get a job they don't want me to leave and they take away all my freedom. I'm slowly having suicidal thoughts and living with them is not working out for me. I have family in another state as well and I was thinking if I could live with them but my mom and dad wont let me leave I'm basically just a person that cleans, cooks and takes care of the kids. They took away everything I don't even go to school I can't get away from them. Is there any way I could leave.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. First and foremost, it sounds like your mom has physically hurt you in the past and we want you to know this is never okay. If you are in an unsafe situation please contact your local police department immediately. Your safety is our number one concern and you deserve to feel safe in your own home.

It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission, but this may depend on your state. If you are under 18 and leave home, your mom may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home, which is looks like has happened in the past. Also, those you stay with, such as your boyfriend, may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. If you would like more information on runaway laws, it may help to call your local non-emergency police department phone number or 311, as well as contacting us at NRS.

Since it appears your mom is having issues with your relationship another great resource is Love is Respect which is a dating and relationship hotline that can provide support to you and your family about your relationship. The phone number is 1-866-331-9474 and their website is www.loveisrespect.org. You can also text their free confidential hotline at 22522 using “loveis” to start the conversation.

If you would like some additional resources locally from NRS please reach out by our phone number. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency
    assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. I'm 16 and I'll be 17 this comming month in January. I am a good kid with good grades and have always been a complete push over by others. I was raised in a very verbally abusive house and physically abusive house. Parents tossing me back and forth not wanting to take responsibility. Well I'm finally good now and in a better place then I was. I am not emotionally unstable or suicidal at all i feel like i over came all my problems except one... I'll be 17 this month and I have a 19 year old bf with parents consent in oklahoma, but recently my parents started to hate him because they are vv judgemsntle about his kid and how he lives on his own while i live with my parents. They told him he cannot see me anymore. I SNUCK OFF TO see him and my feelings are very valid about him and I got the police called on me and take back home. My mom crushed my glasses hit me w a belt from top to bottom and pulled my hair slinging me around. I don't want to be here anymore I'm tired of feeling like a problem. I really wanna leave. I need help or advice. Shes a good mom to my sisters but she hates me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, i am 16 years old, and I live in Virginia and I am being abused mentally and physically. My aunt slammed my head into a wall as my mom did nothing. My step dad has been taking my laptop from me which is causing my grades to drop. He constantly threatens me on the daily and tell me how hes going to punch all the teeth out my mouth. I want to live with my uncle who lives 20 minutes away from here but I don't want to get him in any trouble nor do I want to forced back here. I am already suicidal and I suffer from ptsd, depression and anxiety and sometimes it gets to the point where I have episodes. I don't feel safe here and I am always on edge and I am very uncomfortable. I just want to be able to see my Friends and family whenever I get the chance, get a job, graduate from high school and live my life. So what should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. We know that stay-at-home orders and social distancing can be really isolating and it must be really hard to not have the opportunity to see your friends.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home (even if just for a short amount of time) your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    I am 15 right now but I was wondering if whenever I turn 16 if my parents are allowed to keep me from hanging with friends.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent/guardian permission. That person may be filed as a runaway by the parent or guardian with their local police department. Also, anyone found to be aiding or harboring a runaway may face legal charges. For more specifics on the law, contact the local non-emergency number to the police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X