Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My home situation is okay, I get yelled at for things I don’t do all of the time and I’m constantly stuck in the house like it’s a jail cell I can’t see my friends anymore the only way I can see them is if they come over to my house but it’s embarrassing getting yelled at ever 2 seconds when I’m having people over. I’m about to be 16 in March and want to runaway. I don’t want my dad to get mad at me or anything and I don’t want to just be simply returned home. I’m getting very depressed being stuck in that house all of the time. I live in Maine and I’ve been told and I’ve also looked this up, it’s not illegal. But if I do get returned home I’m just scared of what will happen and what my dad and step mom will do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems you want to know some information on leaving without parental permission.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. From what we understand a legal guardian can still reach out to the police even if the other parent has given permission. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 16 and live in Mississippi. Can i legally stay the night with a friend if my dad says yes but my mom says no?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your grandparents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It seems like your grandparent's don't fully understand how their restrictive rules and the isolation they've put you in is affecting you. It makes sense that you would want some more independence. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your family so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    i just turned 16 an i need to move out i live in Kentucky and i live with my grandparents and she tells me to leave and everything and iv told her to sigh the papers so i can live on my own but she says the something over and over saying that that isnt real and your to young and she never lets me hang out with my friends or anything i stay at home 24/7 and im able to work right in my town and get a low income apartment how can i move out she tells me to go live with my mom and me and her does NOT get along at all no one in our family does anyway i can life on my own please!!! Thank you so much!!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for contacting NRS,
    We appreciate you reaching out to us here at NRS. We are sorry to hear that you have been having family issues. More importantly that your family is being physical and creating issues for your well being. As far as leaving with your boyfriend some things that might be important to consider are the child runaway laws in your state. Though we are not legal experts from h=what we understand about runaway laws in general is that if you were to leave home it is not a crime however your parents have the right to file a runaway report and the police would then be on the lookout for you. Some other things you would need to know is that while its not a crime to runaway sometimes harboring a runaway can be. Your boyfriend should he choose to willfully hide you can be charged with harboring a runaway if you are found.It might be a good idea to discuss this with each other and see where you land on the issue.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. I am currently 16 years old and will be turning 17 in August. My grandparents are my legal guardians. I feel emotional abused when I am around my family. There is a lot of fighting happening and I have seen my family have physical altercations with each other. I no longer feel safe and plan on leaving next month with my boyfriend who is 18 years old. I would want to know if there is any legal trouble we can get into and if it is a good idea to leave next month.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello there,
    It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.
    You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your family. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
    Unfortunately we can only respond to forums twice. You can best reach us by phone at 800-RUNAWAY or via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org.
    We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi im 16 and i work and im learning how to drive and my parents are very unfair and hurtful and there toxic and i have a place to stay if i leave, and soon when i get enough money i can buy an apartment and i was wondering what do i need to do to show i am able to leave my parents house at 16 please help me i cant ne having this no more this is emotional abuse

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow you are so brave for having to endure all of that trauma, that all seems so awful.

Being around drugs and drug dealers is not a healthy environment for anyone having to live in. You could consider reporting the drug use to the police and they would be able to investigate the situation. Also because you are being neglected you can report this to CPS by calling Child Help at 1800-422-4453.

This is so hard for anyone to have to deal with, unfortunately drugs not only affect the addict but they affect anyone who is around the addict. That is why sometimes addiction is called a family disease. We hope that you have some support during all of this. One option to consider would be to talk to a school counselor about what has been going on at home. Also they have meetings for families of loved ones who have addiction issues. You can find meetings in your area or online by calling Alanon-Alateen at: 1888-425-2666. Another good resource that may be helpful to you is called SAMHSA (substance abuse and mental health association). They can be reached at 1800-662-4357.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!

NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I’m 17 and lately things been hard for me. Starting of 2020 my uncle moved in I thought it was an good idea turns out it wasn’t. Since September 1st 2020 I’ve been having random people come in & out and you wonder why that’s because my “uncle” is an drug dealer. It was all cool until he started withdrawing coz he didn’t have any type of drugs in his system,so he blacked out said he was missing money or his drugs he kept doing that until he got something in return either it was an argument or money..to feed his addiction. My cousins Nicole & Andrea overdoses on fenty in December of 2020 and since then all I’ve been around was drugs & alcohol ******** was exhausting its now 2021 Christmas Day/eve my mom was all messed up on crack & alcohol soon that week I found all my moms ******** and broke a lot of pipes.. I soon escaped because she kicked me out Jan 2nd I was with my friend. My lil brother who’s 12 is now with my mom again she’s not in the best mind set... shes dating online and bringing guys around all for her own “happiness” & obv for $$. I don’t wanna be apart of my moms life she neglected me and left me said she doesn’t love me or care so I’m fighting for my safety and I just want my lil brother with me..

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there and thanks for reaching out to NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things at home have been challenging for you, and we're sorry to hear that. It can definitely be frustrating to feel so restricted. Based on what you've said above, it seems like there may be some communication issues going on between you and your parents. It might be helpful to try and address those issues with the support of a therapist or counselor who can help by mediating important conversations. That will also give you the opportunity to work through how some of the ways that those interactions are affecting you.

If you'd like to talk in more detail about what's going on at home or have us look up some local counseling services in your area, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

NRS

Guest replied
    hi im **** and i want to leave home at 16 and i live in texas and my parents are stupid my dad puts a lot restrictions on me and i dont feel like i have an freedom i have to ask to talk to someone and i have to ask to spend money when i make my own money and i have a job and i cant even walk out the front door cuz he says i have to ask to go out the front door and i have to ask to even go do my chores and my dad akwayd wants to fist fight me and it gets annoying and me and hom argue so much and my mom she takes everything out of proportion and she doesnt believe anything i say yes ive done stupid stuff but we get it fixed and they brig it back up and punish me again i think its stupid and they have already kicked me out of the house four times already and i should of left then but i didnt
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 01-30-2021, 12:37 AM. Reason: Edited to maintain confidentiality

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. You don't deserve to be treated that way. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 01-25-2021, 03:25 AM.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X