Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Im 17 years old and my parents are really strict, i can never go anywhere or do anything... so i was wondering, do i have the right to go out without my parents consent? Could they file a "runaway" report even if I'm just going out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - it sounds frustrating to not be treated with respect. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

It’s great to hear that your boyfriend and his parents support you. If you go to stay at their house without prior permission from your parents, your boyfriend's parents could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm wanting to leave my house now because I'm tired of my parents treating me like a 5-year-old... if I live with my boyfriend and his parents can they get in trouble for that and will te police send me home if they (meaning his parents) say they would let me stay with them till I'm done with school ( I have 2 more years)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you so much for reaching out. It is definitely understandable that you would want to leave given how your father is treating you. Nobody deserves to be treated in such a way that pushes them to attempt suicide. I am so sorry you had to go through that. You aren't alone in this and we are here to help. If you ever do feel like you are a threat to yourself, please reach out to the police or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (1800)273-8255. We are also here to talk 24/7 over the phone at 1800RUNAWAY(786-2929).

While we aren't legal experts, in most cases leaving your dad's house without permission could be considered running away and he would have the right to file a runaway report with the police. In most cases this is only a status offense which means if you're found you will be returned to his care. There is something called harboring charges that your mom could face for allowing you to stay with her, but we don't hear of it happening too often, and when it does its usually only a misdemeanor. This could change depending on things like your parents' custody agreement, among other factors. The best way to know would be to contact a legal resource or your local police department's non-emergency line. We would be happy to look up those numbers for you over the phone or on chat at any time.

Guest replied
    Hi my name is jordan, and I am 16 I turn 17 in August I dont wanna live with my dad anymore he threatens to send me away... and I have attempted suicide 4 times bc of him... can I got to my mom in west virginia? would her or I get in trouble please help me asap!!!

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X