Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and my step mom was abusing me and no one will do anything about it could I be emancipated but live with my cousin and her parents without my parents Consent???

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts, but even if you tell her where you are, if she wants you to come home and files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your mom to talk about your relationship or your ability to leave for a few days, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    im 16 years old and me and my mom aren't meshing right now. She and i get into arguments all the time and i feel like i have no respect. if i leave for a couple of days and let her know, will i be considered a runaway?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your guardians file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. Being adopted doesn't change that. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your guardians to possibly discuss you living somewhere else, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 07-23-2018, 06:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 16 and I live in Massachuttes and I NEED to leave... I'm adopted. Am I allowd to leave like just walk out the door if I wanted to give talked about it before and they dare me to do it. They hate me! I just don't want to be forced back in to the home. Is this legal since I'm 16, and I'm adopted.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply:Hey I'm 15 years old I will turn 16

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

It sounds like you are caught in a situation tht has been very difficult for you.
    When the only source of communication has become arguing or fighting it can be frustratiing and hurtful.
    Sometimes trying to work things out through the use of support services might be an option to explore.

If you would like to talk about your situation and explore some options, we can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 07-12-2018, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey I'm 15 years old I will turn 16 in september (in 2 months) I live in Lebanon and currently I live with my father and his new family. I don't feel comfortable with them I feel like I'm a strager but I'm forced to live with them because if I lived with my mother it will be hard because everyday she argue with me 24/7 and fights me and I don't even like living with her, but in the same time living with my dad is waaayy harder so I just really don't know what to do I tried searching for a solution a loot but I couldn't help
    So now I'm waiting till I'm 16 so I can work. What I actually need is a solution it's just complicated how I live half of my stuff at my mother's and half at my father's and both of them I can't feel comfortable living with them!
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 07-12-2018, 06:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a question that a lot of our other users have, about being able to leave your toxic household to live independently. We have attached a link to the thread, that we think can be of some use. If you read through this thread we believe that you may find the answers you seek.
    https://bulletinboards.1800runaway.o...arents-consent
    In addition to being available online, we have a 24/7 hotline and are always here to provide additional support and resources. It sounds like you have a lot to think through and we are here to help you process it. Please do not hesitate to call. 1800-786-2929
    Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am currently 15 and I’m turning 16 in December. I read that you can move out at 16 without parent consent and that state will not place you back home unless you are in danger. Is that true? I feel as if I’m trapped in my room all day. But that’s my choice. I hate being around my family all they do is make me clean and my mom yells at me for stupid stuff and I they use me to babysit and get furious when I don’t. I feel like I’m emotional abused. I have a safe place to move when I turn 16. I’m just wondering if I’ll get in trouble and how I can make it happen. And if I do decide to move out could my mom force me to stay?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello, thank you for calling the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to listen and hopefully can help in some way.
    It seems like you have some questions about being 16 and leaving home. We are not legal experts here but we can provide some general information about what we know to be true about running away. Typically, at 16 in most states youth are still underage. Parents of youth who leave home can file a runaway report which is something known as a status offense. This usually does not come with legal consequences like jail time unless a crime is committed in the act of the youth running away. What usually happens is the youth is returned home by the police or brought to a secure location until they are placed or can be picked up by a qualified adult like a legal guardian. If the youth is legally at 16 then they are usually free to leave home or move out whenever they want to. Other instances of 16 year olds being able to leave without a parents consent are in cases of abuse. If the child is being abused and leaves home for their safety. While a runaway report is still able to be filed, the youth can attempt to report the abuse to your local CPS agency. If this is the case they also has the option to report to Child Help, a national child abuse hotline at 1-800-452-4453, or www.childhelp.org . Reporting may be beneficial to presenting some past information on why they youth has left home. Police may prioritize the safety of the youth over the runaway report made.
    Hopefully some of this information was helpful. We appreciate you reaching out the NRS and encourage you to call us at 1800-RUNAWAY with more questions or for resources.

-NRS
    We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    Can a 16 yr old leave home without parents consent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeliine (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear about your situation with your mom. It sounds like you would like to stay with your dad. You could try asking your dad if he would talk to your mom about the possibility of you staying with him. You may want to consider contacting Child Help (1-800-422-4453) for information on how to transfer custody. Another option that you could look into is emancipation laws for your state.We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any questions or just want to talk.

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m Tiandra and I don’t like living with my mom. It nothing but arguments and I feel so trapped. I stay with her because of my little sister. I have a dad and I want to live with him and he’s more kind and helping when I’m in trouble or just with my mom and it’s really bad. My mom doesn’t talk to me like my dad. And I just want to leave but don’t want to get sent back here. I’m 16 about to turn 17 In November and it’s just really hard to live with a negative and unsupported Mom. Please help I need advice.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

It can be difficult to ask for help, and we are glad you reached out to us. It can be difficult to lose someone, and we are sorry your grandma passed. It sounds like you are trying to figure out if you can live with your aunt when you turn 16.

We are not legal experts and there can be different consequences for leaving the home of your legal guardian. In most states you are considered a minor until you turn 18. That means that regardless of if you are 15 or 16, if you leave your legal guardian without consent, there could be consequences. If you leave your mom’s house and she calls the police, there could be consequences for both you and whoever you are staying with.

In addition to being available online, we have a 24/7 hotline and are always here to provide additional support and resources. It sounds like you have a lot to think through and we are here to help you process it. Please do not hesitate to call.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 I live in ct I'm turning 16 in January but since I was a kid I lived with my grandma but she passed away recently but when I live with my grandma my aunt live with me too and I never live with my mom it was no court order or anything I just stood there that's all I wanted to know when I hit 16 in January can I go living room with my aunt in New York City where would I get in trouble for leaving my mom's house please let me know because I'm really think about leaving my mom's house because I never lived with her and I don't like living with her it's sucks and I'm not used to living with her so I just wanted to know can I live in my aunt house when I turn 16 without getting it legal trouble

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X