Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow it seems like the past few months have been really hard for you and your girlfriend. We could not imagine the grief you and your girlfriend have been going through, especially how you guys were unable to grieve together.
    You mentioned how your parents do not allow you to be with your girlfriend or leave the home. One option you could consider is talking to a school counselor about what is going on, sometimes talking to a profession can help you feel better. You also mentioned that you are being abused, any type of abuse is unacceptable. If you would like to make an abuse report you can always call the Child Help Line at 1800-422-4453. Also if you ever feel like you are in danger you always have the right to call the police, and someone would be able to help you ASAP.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave home without permission your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Some police departments may not take a runaway report but it depends on the police department. We never heard of the crime invasion of nature so you may want to clarify that with the police department. You could also look into getting emancipated by going to your local court house and asking to file for emancipation.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck, please stay stong!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17 I live in Louisiana and I have my custody shared between my grandmother and my dad. I recently got my girlfriend pregnant she miscarried before this one but this year she found out she was pregnant in early January and her birthday was May 5th and we have been together since October 20th,2018 my family insult both of us call us names and blame her for everything I do wrong and she was rushed to the hospital May15th and found out she was going into labor at 21 weeks do to a fetus placenta that did not die off but attached to its twin and she gave birth to him May16th his name was Dean Anthony Lee Graves he didn’t service he was 10 ounces and born at 4:00am his heart had stopped at 12:00am and we had been going through that we had his funeral on May 19th her cousins birthday and my grandmother and dad told her mother we couldn’t see each other because we need to grieve alone I was so depressed unhappy I couldn’t see her and couldn’t rightly deal with my first sons death and finding out he was a twin and I wish he could of made it but life’s full of crap that backfired at u anyway I told them I would get to see her again and on May27th she forced me to go to my moms she left me I called her while she had my girlfriend in the car to tell her I would walk back or kill myself if I didn’t go back and get to see my girlfriend that had just been going through a very hard time. I’ve been emotionally abuse they watch me when I’m changing clothes won’t allow me out the house now because I tried riding my bike to my girlfriends on the 28th at 11:30pm and they woke up at 12:00 went looking for me and sent cops out saying I was a minor I just turned 17 and they said there warning me if I do it again there gonna charge me for invading nature for riding my bike to go live with my girlfriend how can I leave there house without permission there always hounding me like dogs so I can stay with my girlfriend and get a job to help raise my baby that’s growing in her stomach now. I need help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi I’m 16 and I’ve been living with my mom...

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts but in general if your mother is your legal guardian she has the right to say where you live. In some states there are emancipation laws that can be one way of trying to gain your independence. Again we are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18.

Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. It’s best to check your local court house to gain more information on this process.
    Also you might check with your local police department to inquire about the runaway laws in your state or if someone that moves out of their parent or guardian’s home would without permission would be considered a runaway and forced to return home.
    If you would like to talk more about your situation we are here to listen and here to help.
    To speak with someone on our crisis or chat line contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org
    We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 16 and I’ve been living with my mom the past 6 months. I’m the oldest of 4 kids. Before I was living with my grandfather and he was taking care of me and my other sister the past 4 years because my mom simply couldn’t. These 6 months have been extremely hard for me. It’s a problem when I just ask her for something to eat. I’ve been very very depressed since I moved with her. I can’t even focus on school anymore because my mind is so messed up. I try to explain to her how I would feel a lot better if I was to go back where I consider home (which is with my grandfather) she tells me no because “she’s the mother”. Is there any way I can legally leave from my mom?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-30-2019, 02:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension, life with your mom sounds stressful and you shouldn't be abused in any way. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, since you are under 18 you are considered a minor and cannot legally move out without parental permission. If you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. It’s great to hear that your boyfriend supports you. If you are found by the authorities at his house, he could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your mom views the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15, I'm about to turn 16. I don't really like my living situation, my parents make me do everything but my two other siblings don't have to do anything. My mom has been abused and raped in her childhood but she is away from all of that now, my mom has not physically abused me but all my friends think that she is mentally abusing me. She tells everyone that I'm not ready for anything and that I need to shut my mouth and listen to all her teachings, I have not learned anything from her, I've learned everything I know from school and my friends. I have told my boyfriend about this situation and he said that once I turn 16 I can move in with him, I was planning on moving in with him but I don't know if I can without getting in trouble or my parents making me come back. Is it legal to move out at 16?? Will they be able to make me come back if I do move out??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 13 years old I'll be 14 in July and I'm literally so depressed over my mom she is so mean to me all the time I'm not that kid that over reacts when there parents tell them no. My mom actually mentally abuses me and she brings me down so much she isn't acting like a mom she treats me terrible and I actually can't stay here anymore its so bad here j need help please someone

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply:

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Since you are still a minor your parent or legal guardian has the right to decide where or who you can stay with. However if there is abuse involved or you are at risk child services can be contacted and an abuse report may be filed. Once child protective services get the report a social worker or case manager will be sent to investigate and make a determination as to you being removed from the home for safety concerns. A family member could be appointed if approved by child protective services.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 9-1-1 or seek emergency assistance immediately. To report child abuse contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Me and my momaw (my legal guardian) just got in a fight a really bad one and I’m 16 years old is anyone even a family member aloud to get me?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-18-2019, 02:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline, we're here to listen and to help. It sounds like your situation with your grandma is really challenging, especially if you're being physically harmed. You deserve to live in a place where you feel nurtured and safe. When a young person tells us that there is abuse taking place in the home, we suggest the option of filling out an abuse report. We understand that sometimes this isn't an option for everyone. Another idea might be to reach out to family and friends to discuss what's going on at home and see if you can get external support. If someone could be an advocate for you and help you talk to Grandma about finding common ground at home, that could help ease the tension, and hopefully put an end to the abuse. Another option may be to discuss what's going on at home with a trusted adult, like a school counselor or community leader. We could also explore resources for counseling in your area... unfortunately, we can't provide those resources through a forum response, but if you wanted to call us we would be happy to explore these options or any others over the phone. Feel free to call us at any time, we are available 24/7- 1-800-RUNAWAY. You could also chat with us via our online chat on our website- www.1800runaway.org. Thanks again for reaching out to us, we're always here to help!

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 and I don’t turn 16 until October. I need to leave my house A.S.A.P and I don’t know if I can wait anymore. My grandma has been getting angrier a lot lately and tends to hit my sister and grab me and push me around. The other day she kept hitting me in the head and started kicking me and I’m tired of it. I know if I hit her back or touch her she will tell the police I hit her first and last time I tried to tell them what happened they believed my grandma and her excuse was I talk back. She is really mean to me and when she is angry takes all my stuff away and threatens to cut my hair again.
    I don’t know what to do and I want to run away but then I will have to eventually come home and listen to her. I’m at the point where I don’t care if I die and might kill myself to precipitate my death. I just don’t know who to talk to who will ACTUALLY do something to help me and my younger sister.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi, I was reading some of the reply’s...

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on
    You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being.
    You don’t deserve to be abused in any way. You are not responsible for how others choose to behave.
    If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it.

We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. We understand that this would probably be a very difficult decision for you to make. It sounds like one of your concerns is for your younger sister being left with your mother.
    It is very dear for you to think about her in this situation.

Generally speaking you must be 18 to legally move out of your parent or guardians home.
    Your parent could file a runaway report and anyone known to be aiding or harboring a runaway could face legal charges. We hope that helps but if you would like to speak more about your situation, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.18oorunaway.org (Live chat).

Please be safe and take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I was reading some of the replie’s and it gave me the courage to reply as well. I live with my mother and it is so bad here, it is not physical abuse but emotional, I truly feel if I left I could better myself and my life I am currently 16. I have a father who isn’t my biological father and if I were to move out not run away but move out would he get into trouble like can my mom file anything against him because he isn’t my biological father. On the other hand my older sister is 18 and my younger sister is 14 and it would hurt her so dearly if I left her. And I just couldn’t live with myself if she was here by herself dealing with my mom.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-11-2019, 01:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi, I’m 16 and I want to move out of my house

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help.
    The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA.

Since you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use these links to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/

https://www.covenanthousetoronto.ca/...outh/Home.aspx

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X