Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I’m 14 years old & I have an older sister that I don’t like to associate with. My mom says to let her be but she treats me like ********. Sadly we live in the same household and share the same room. I feel like my mom really only cares about my older sister and not me. I absolutely do not want to be treated like this in my family & I want to run away from my home way sooner than 16 years old. I live in California & I’m not sure if that’s possible.
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 06-23-2019, 02:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am 15 years old almost 16. I don't have my permit or a way to drive. Based on research I have done about emotional abuse in families I feel that I am a victim of it.I have a history of depression and anxiety but I really don't know if I can make it until im 18. I find myself constantly thinking about taking my own life and with draw more and more from those around me. I want to leave what can I do? How would I be able to leave safely? Could I go into foster care or live with my aunt? Is there a way for my parents to lose custody of me? They have taken my phone for the past few weeks and have told me I won't be getting it back ever which is cutting me off from my friends who are the only people who I can thank for still being here today. Ive gone through a little bit of therapy before but find no results and I really believe its due to the fact that I have to live here with them. I use to smoke weed pretty occasionally to help ease my pain and they found out about it. I am no longer using any substances but could that effect the ability for me to legally leave them?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a difficult situation trying to leave home, and having been reported as a runaway ans detained last time you left. Here at NRS, we truly want to support you and inform you as best we can.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to her. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I am 16 and live in Mississippi with my mother who has custody of me. I have run away before and they put me in juvy for a weekend. I was wondering if I can move out without my moms consent. She’s always screaming at me and getting onto me for stupid reasons. And she never lets me go anywhere or see my boyfriend or friends. Is there any possibility that I can move out without her being able to do anything about it?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

If you are under 18, and you leave home without your guardian's consent they can file you as a runaway with local police. If you are over 18, you are considered an adult in most states and can leave home without permission.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or need any support: 1-800-RUNAWAY, www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Can I leave my dads without my dads conset

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out, sounds like you are in a difficult situation. Here at NRS, we truly want to inform you and support you during this difficult time.

Generally speaking, you can be considered a runaway anytime you leave home without permission and your mom reports it to local police. If you are only going to be gone for a small amount of time, your mom can call police back and let them know that you have returned if she does file you as a runaway quickly. Running away in California is generally a status offense, meaning it is not illegal, rather it is something you cannot do because of your age and if you are found you could be returned home.

If you need a safe place to go please call or chat us: 1-800-RUNAWAY or www.1800runaway.org. We can look for runaway and homeless youth shelters and outreach resources in your area.

Please know we are always here for you, don't hesitate to call or chat if you need resources or support.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi i am from CA and i am turning 16 in December. It is really hard living with my mom. I feel like she is mentally and verbally abusive toward me. She has a strong desire to have control over me and tries to interfere with everything, My question here is that can i just leave home without her permission for a while? I don't mean running away, since I don't have a good place to go. I mean like going somewhere like a park or downtown or somewhere for a couple hours. Btw i moved into the US about 4 years ago and have literally no other family members here besides my parents and my younger brother(my mom always threatens to send me back to china, so do i have a say in where i want to stay?). And in the future if i want to run away or smth, where is a good place for me to go? But for right now, i just need more control over myself. So if I just step on my bike and leave home for a short period of time(like a couple hours maybe) without permission from my mom, will that get me into any trouble? And if I take my phone with me which i think is technically her property, what will happen then? Thanks a lot

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out, sounds like you are in a difficult situation as one parent seems more supportive than the other. We aren’t legal experts, therefore, it may be worth reaching out to your local non-emergency police department directly and asking if you would need one or both parent’s consent. It can be helpful to have one, but that still leaves available that one parent can file a runaway report. If you want to talk further more about your situation or want us to look for resources in your area, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or access our live chat through our website 1800RUNAWAY.org.
    Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey, I am 16.. turning 17 September 4. I would like to move out of state to Virginia. (I live in Florida) My mom said she’d give me consent, but I know my dad wouldn’t be okay with it. Does that matter, or will it be legal since my mom would allow it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i turn 15 in september, my parents are mentally abusive and super strict. ive lived in the unites states for 8 years and they threatened to take me and my brother back to egypt. and i dont even know how to speek the language they speek. i was wondering if there was a way around us being forced to move their, like do i have a say on whether i stay or leave.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to have so much tension in both your mom and your dad's houses. You deserve to have your thoughts and feelings acknowledged and accepted. It may be beneficial to speak with others about your situation so they can help advocate for you or mediate a conversation - you may want to reach out to someone like a trusted family friend or relative, or a local counseling agency. You can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom or dad to help create a safe space and mediate the conversation.

We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, you are considered a minor until the age of 18 and cannot live somewhere without your parents' approval. If you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom or dad.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I live in Nevada I’m only 12 almost thirteen and my mom and I have been moving around a lot and ever since then she’s been acting really bipolar and gets mad at me for everything and says really hurtful things when she knows I get hurt really easily last time this happened I went with my dad and it worked for a while but I got sick and he overworked me by making me clean then he got mad at me and took my phone away which is my only outlet to my friends he also screams at me so I went back with my mom since she’s usually not at home but she still makes me really depressed and I just want to move out by myself so when I turn sixteen can I pay for an apartment or something like that is that legal?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi Josh,
    We are glad you reached out to us. It sounds very challenging dealing with your home situation. It is understandable that you are feeling anxious and depressed. We are not legal experts and we don’t provide legal advice. According to our summary resources, there are no legal statutes in NH defining a process for emancipation. NH does recognize emancipation of a minor (anyone under the age of 18 for NH) if the legal guardian consents to it.
    If you go and live with your older brother and your guardian has filed a runaway report on you, you would not get in trouble but your brother might. You would have to contact your local police to find out the enforcement details from them.
    There might be other resources available to help you in your area for counseling, or transitional living or other help. If you call us or start a chat we can see if we can figure out a plan to get you some resources to help you through this tough time at home.

Again, we are really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and you trying to figure out your options is really good to see

Guest replied
    Hi, my names Joshua . I am from Deering New Hampshire. I am 16 years old (I will be 17 on October 23.) I live with my father (56 years), step-mother (20 years), and my older brother (18 years). It has been really tough living at home.I am dealing with mental abuse and occasional minor physical abuse. I'm constantly being told to clean up the house (dishes, kitchen, bedroom, bathrooms, living room, etc etc.) If I do anything wrong in the slightest I am yelled at or punished. I am not allowed to go anywhere or do anything with friends. I want to get a job and I am willing to walk if that's what I have to do, however my father will not allow me. I don't quite understand how minor emancipation works. It seems as though there is no way to get emancipated in New Hampshire. It is getting very emotionally painful and it's getting way to hard to deal with. This is leading to serious anxiety and depression. As well as the fact that my step-mother is less than three years older than I am which is really awkward and weird. What can I do? If my older brother gets an apartment could I legally move in with him (upon his approval?) I am currently working on getting my High school equivalent diploma (my high-set / GED.) I am legally allowed to get a job and school will be out of the way. I have been taking care of myself for years now and it would be very helpful if there was a way I could get out of this situation. Thanks, Josh.
    Last edited by ccsmod2; 06-04-2019, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X