Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

It looks as though you might have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue. Thanks you so much for reaching out. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Best of luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m *******, and I can’t live at home with my dad anymore, and nor my mother they are both mentally abusive and are not compatible for me. I am adopted and they split but they are not the parents they used to be. I need help I’m 16 and wanna leave but I don’t want to get into any type of trouble. My best friend since I was a young kid has offered to let me stay with him but I don’t want him or his parents to get into legal troubles. Please give me some advice on what to do because I can’t live with my parents anymore I’m going to be 17 soon and I need a way out.
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 06-28-2019, 01:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    im 15 inn south carolina, i would like to leave home as soon as legally possible. i cant get a job, i basically have no contact with the outside world. i have 4 siblings and i live with my mom and every day theres always an issue.people are always screaming and fighting and arguing. my mom has no respect for me, constantly makes remarks about me being a slut and such. she's one hit me by pulling my hair, slapping me, punching me and at one point choked me for a few seconds. i dont want to call anyone on her because if i did my family would be separated from each other and no one would be there to take care of my little brother who's only 10. i dont know what my options are, i just want out of this house the most legal way possible without any trouble.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is not always easy to reach out for help, so it demonstrates bravery that you have written us.
    It sounds like you are looking to run away and want to know about the legality of it. We are not legal experts here, but we do have some general legal knowledge about running away. Basically, if you run away before you are a legal adult—and in all states you are still a minor at age 16—your parent or legal guardian can report you as a runaway youth and the police can bring you back home. Running away is what is called a status offense, meaning it is something you cannot do because of your age. You won’t be thrown in jail or get charged with anything. If there is something going on at home that makes you feel unsafe, you should consider calling us at 1-800-786-2929, and we can talk about your options.
    We hope this is helpful for you. We hope as you move forward that you will feel free to reach out to us at any time. We are always here to listen, here to help. Good luck with your situation.

Sincerely,
    National Runaway Safeline

Guest replied
    Hi I am Natalie I wanted to ask if I’m 16 and my boyfriend is 18 can i live with him without parent concent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your situation at home has deteriorated to the point where you feel like you need to leave. We support you in whatever decision you make and will help in any way that we can. We can talk you through the process that you are going through and provide support in that way. We can also refer you to legal resources in your area if we have any in our database. We would love to chat with you about what is going on and if you are interested, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and I'll be 17 in about 3 months. I don't really want to run away. I just want to live on my own and be responsible for myself. But my parents have made it difficult for me to do the things I need to do in order to file emancipation. I have to have a list of requirements filled in order for the judge to consider it and I know my parents will not agree with it. I know how to take care of myself and I can keep myself in school and I can get transportation. I know you guys will probably give me the same advice as you have others but I'd like to hear what you have to say anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Meaning that yes even your brother could be charged for that as well. Your mom ultimately has command of what you do or who you stay with until you are 18. It’s not jail time but if you stay there longer the consequences can be more and more severe as the time goes on and you are still in that residence. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and went over to my brother's place and chose to move in. My mom threatened to call the police for my brother and his friends who also live there, as they are now "Harboring a Minor". We all have jobs, myself included, and can support ourselves financially. My brother would be the one mainly taking care of me, but his friends do as well. I think the living arrangements are satisfactory, but if the police come would they disagree and take me home, or worse: actually arrest my brother and his friends for letting me stay?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We’re not legal experts here at NRS, so we can’t give you any legal advice. There is no clear statute for emancipation in the state of Kentucky. If you'd like, you can try contacting Kentucky Youth Advocates, a local legal aid group at 502-895-8167 for more information or to explore other legal options that you may have available to you.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey im 16 and im dating a 18 year old, weve been dating for 5 years and i wanted to know if i could file for emancipation in kentucky and live with him. At home my parents are always arguing and yelling at each other and its really hurting me. Could i file for emancipation at 16 and live with me 18 year old boyfriend if he has a job and pays all bills?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds really hard to live in a home with so much tension between you and your mom. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

You may want to speak directly to your dad about your desire to live with him to see how he feels and if you two can speak with your mom together about this. It should be noted that this process can be time-consuming and may require the involvement of lawyers and family court.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. It sounds like your mom isn’t listening to you when you are trying to express your thoughts and feelings about your current situation. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - no one deserves to be emotionally abused. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You brought up that you have some issues with anxiety and depression and that you have had thoughts of suicide. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741.

You mentioned the idea of going into foster care of your parent's losing custody. Generally speaking, this would be done if Child Protective Services found your home to be an unsafe environment and would work to place you into a safe home. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and in September I will be 17. I live in oregon and i want to move in with my dad who lives in Washington. My problem is that if i asked my mom I would be told no and yelled at for thinking of such a thing. I hate living with my family because all they do is make fun on me and the only time they seem to want me around is when their house needs clean. Normally I just spend a lot of time with extra curricular activities such as my schools after school woodshop program but now that it's summer and I'm grounded I'm not really aloud out of my room until my step mom go's to work. The only way I'm writing this is because my friend graciously slipped me a smartphone while my family was asleep. I feel like my family does not love me and honestly I feel they think of me more as a tool than a child. I'm always depressed and when i try to talk to them about me not feeling loved they say it's bull******** and ground me for being disrespectful. My mom always complains she doesn't get to spend time with me and my siblings but all she does is watch tv and tell us to go away. I just want to go live with my dad but I know my mom would call the cops if I left.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X