Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Im currently 16 and pregnant. Me and my boyfriend (the father) are still together and we are deciding on keeping it or giving it up for adoption. My mother is refusing to let me see the father of my child. Not because he’s done anything bad. He’s always been cery respectful and as far as im concerned, he’s built a good relationship with my family. My grandmother and his parents both think i should live with him or at least be able to see him. Seeing as how we’re going to have a child. What would happen if i left? Is there anything legally i can do because im pregnant? What’s going to happen if i run away? If i do run away and my mother calls the police what are they going to do? Are the police going to be of any help regarding my situation? My boyfriend is 18 and he wants me with him, I already have a job lined up and school figured out but it’s in Denver and i live in fort collins which is about an hour away. I have everything i could possibly need to continue my pregnancy and make sure im financially stable to potentially have to take care of a child. My boyfriend is a full time college student and has 2 jobs and lives on his own. He’s financially stable and thinks the best option for me is to be with him. What should i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    Getting on the plane if they are the ones that buy the ticket and they are over usually 15 it shouldn’t be a big issue unless they have already been reported as a runaway before they get on the plane.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My friend really needs to get out of her house and was thinking of running away to Nevada, from New Hampshire. If she buys the plane ticket would she be able to do this?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i want to leave my dads house but i just don't know if i can without the cops bring me back. i just trued 16 Sept. 4th and I've been wanting to leave because of stuff at home. i just was looking up stuff to see if i could before i do it.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out! That definitely sounds like a difficult and frustrating situation. It seems like you have done everything in your power to try to make it work. You definitely do not deserve to be physically assaulted like that. If you reach out to us we can look up resources for you for problematic youth. We can see what is available to you in your area. In regard to breaking the law, it is always a good idea to reach out to local police or other legal resources as we are not legal experts and do not want to steer you wrong.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, i am the guardian of a 16 year old, will bec17 in December. My sister and I have tried for a couple of years now to raise her but she she is so defiant and continues to run away. She has been physically abusive to me to the point i am now recovering from neck surgery. How can i help her?? I live in Oklahoma, am I breaking the law by not looking for her?? Can i get into trouble if she breaks the law while out of the home??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some intense stuff and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize their safety and their well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 years old.And,my parents are actually very toxic.Like,they don't give me any personal freedom,they are very controlling too!!I'm not that good at studying....So they take me as a burden...due to my poor marks in exams....And,tells me that they will get me married at 18.They tell me that I can only study and become something.So,they completely crushed my dreams of becoming a Painter.I can only study and then find a job....and if I can't do this then they will get me married at 18 forcefully.... But..now I gave up on my dreams of becoming a Painter.They made fun of my dreams,so what can I do?They do love me,but they are overprotective,manipulative....
    There are online singing auditions....I'm thinking about participating in them.And,now I want to become a singer....but my parents don't know about this.I'm thinking about auditioning without my parents knowing,when I become 16.So,if you get accepted in those auditions then you will be called in that country(Korea).Actually it's an online kpop audition...it's not possible to explain u here....you may search in google how the auditions are actually.So,can move to korea without my parents knowing?I mean...If i accepted in that audition...then there willn't be any problem..right?
    please..help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to us and explaining a little bit more about what's been going on.

We are sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out.
    If your legal guardians or parents are not taking care of you and providing for you that is considered as neglect. You can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can provide you more information on filing a reports with department of children and family services.

We are not legal experts but your parents are responsible for you until you turn 18. You can stay with any adult with your parents permission in most cases. Generally speaking running away is not a crime and if your parents are to file a police report the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway and get in trouble with the law. If you need legal help you can find legal resources at www.lawhelp.org

Coping with all this stress can be hard. It can be helpful to talk to a school counselor or another therapist. Practicing good coping skills on a regular basis can help reduce the stress. Trying to do things you enjoy everyday can be helpful. Exercising, meditating, journaling, listening to music, reading, talking to friends can be some things to consider.

You are not alone and we are here to support you through this. If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey, I am a 16 year old girl in Missouri. The law used to be a that at 17 can move out without parents consent. The law is going to change and I just missed the deadline because of my brithday. All my mom does is get high my and yells till I break down in tears, my stepfather is an alcoholic. My real father wants nothing to do with me. I ran away when I was 13 but it keeps getting worst. My aunt and uncle, and my grandparents want me to live with him but can I do that with my parents knowing? I am not allowed to get a job, so I can't get emaciated. I really don't know what to do. I am getting mentally abused and there nothing I can do about it. If I wanted to live my Aunt and uncle or my grandparents can i, or will make my mom make me stay?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your step-mother. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern, which it does sound like is the case for you. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So i live in oklahoma and I'm 15. I list my mom when I was 10 to drugs and I was forced to live with my dad and his girlfriend. She's emotionally abusive and I'm not even in a very stable hone. They both work off so I stay with my sister until one of the gets home. It doesn't even feel like hone anymore. I feel suc stock and lost. I'm scared to really reach out for help because I just got in trouble pretty bad and I'm worried whoever ill try to talk to will think I'm just throwing a fit but ive been wanting it off this horse for a really long time. I have friends who've witnessed my step moms freak outs. She's acted like she was gong to hit me a few times and she's slapped me once and got me with an ATV. Not hard but still. Weve gotten into some Really really bad fights. I want to get out so bad but I'm only 15 and don't know what to do. My dad most definitely won't let me out and I'm scared of what will happen if im returned home. Is there a way out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. We are sorry to hear about your situation, no one deserves to be treated that way, especially by someone who is supposed be a support system for you.

It is important to know that you have options and resources to help advocate for yourself. A great resource for you could be the National Child Abuse Hotline. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453. You can call them anonymously to learn about the abuse reporting process, or directly report abuse to this line. They are a good resource for talking through your options if there is verbal/physical abuse going on at home.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is very important. While we are not legal experts, running away is not considered illegal. However, since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in an unsafe environment. If you left home and decided to stay with a relative or friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct. We can also be reached via live chat anytime.

Best Wishes

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 13 and want to live with my aunt or grandma because my parents are very controlling and toxic and really bad for my health right now since I was 10 I don’t feel like smiling or being happy when they are around and they always scream at me and boss me around and if I try asking them if my brother can do it they tell at me and ground me and I feel so trapped in this house they ruined my happiness and beat me if I don’t follow what they say for example I was on a call with my friend and they got mad at me and punched me until I was bleeding everywhere can someone please tell me what to do I’m too scared to call child services or anything cuz I feel like they won’t help

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X