Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home at 16 without my parents' consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I'm t he god-father of the teen who needs to run away and wants to as well . they are not providing him TLC he is act a 5th grade level 16 of age in the 10th grade we want to know can he leave the house by those circumstances ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a lot.
    We are not legal experts but if you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian coukld file a runaway report even if it’s only for 48 hours. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Can you leave your house for 48 hours with out your parents knowing in NY at the age of 16

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you want information about the consequences of running away if you are under 18. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

Guest replied
    hello, i am 15 years old and i turn 16 in seven months. i really hate living with my parents as i feel like i am living in a jail cell with no rights over my own decisions. i am a full time student and have very few friends because my parents only let me talk to certain people. i would like to move out when i am a few months into my 16th year. i have many places i could stay and i understand that the people i may live with can get in trouble for harboring a runaway. however i am very desperate as i feel like i lack social skills and often feel very alone. i would like to know if there is a way that i could leave and not get my roommates in trouble. and also if it is legal to move out of my house at 16. i live in idaho.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    Can I leave home seen that only 2 months be for I trun 16 can I leave now if I cant hand my mom house amd my dad's can I leave at 15 seen I'm all most 16 in 2 months

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. We are not legal experts so we would not be able to say how the text messages would effect the police decision if they found you.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    I'm not sure how this works, but I thought I could give this a try. I'm 17 and from Utah. I'm currently trying to leave my mom's house and mobe in with my aunt. All my mom and I do is fight. I have a long rexr message from her stating that if I left she wouldnt care, and I was wondering, if I ledt to my aunt's and my mom called me in as a runaway, if I could use the text in my defense. I was also wondering if because I'm with family, the police couldn't do anything, right?

Thank you for helping me in any way that you can! I really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello, thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time.

Although we are not legal experts, technically it’s not against law for you to leave home without your parent’s consent before the age of 18. However, anyone you would be staying with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. It might be a good idea to ask them if they are willing to take this risk for you.

We are here for you 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY(A786-2929) to help you go over options.

Best of luck and we hope to hear from you soon.

-NRS

Guest replied
    can i leave without my parent consent im 16 in georgia

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hey there,

We are glad you reached out, we understand how tough it can be to seek help and you are extremely brave in doing so. It sounds like you are going through a lot and your mom has not been treating you fairly by manipulating you and being self-centered to the point where she calls you names. You do not deserve to be treated that way.

If you think you might have the chance of being pregnant contacting Planned Parenthood may be helpful. They can help with providing different referrals to you, answering any questions you may have about pregnancies and letting you know what options you have. Their number is 1-800-230-7526 and you can go on their website at www.plannedparenthood.org.

If you were to move without your parents consent, because you are still a minor, your parents do have a right to file a runaway report with the police. We are not legal experts but what that would look like would be that the police around the state will be notified and they may or may not actively search for you. If they do find you there is the possibility they would detain you until your parent/s pick you up or they would take you straight home. Say they find you at a friends or family members that your parent/s did not approve of, there is the risk of them being charged with a misdemeanor for harboring a runaway or being fined.

If you ever feel like you are unsafe for whatever reason you can always contact the National Safe Place. They are an organization that will provide information on where the nearest safe place is for you. You can text the word SAFE and your location (address, city and state) to the number 44357 and they will reply back. You can always give us a call at any time too and we can provide referrals to different shelters and programs. We cannot guarantee that you will get a spot but persistence is key and people drop out of programs and the availability will open up.

If you want to talk more in depth about what is going on and find out what resources are available to you, do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or start a chat with us at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7 and completely confidential. We are here for you and here to help.

Best of Luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 16. I live in Utah. My mom likes to manipulate me and she's really narcissistic. And self-centered. She was calling me a s*** and telling me to get a life. I also might have the chance of being pregnant. I want out of the house. I don't want anyone to get in trouble. For me not wanting to be here. I don't know what else to do if I move out without my parents consent. What would be the consequences?
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 02-10-2020, 03:38 PM. Reason: identifying info

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

We are not legal experts and ways to transfer custody can vary depending on the specifics of your situation. There is an organization called Child Help which advocates for young people in similar situations and can walk you through your options. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or at childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you and a listening ear as you navigate this challenging time. You can reach back out anytime by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat at www.1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I live in Kansas and I'm 15. my dad is emotionally and verbally abusive and I don't feel loved and safe in my own home and we both are very confrontational so I do not think I should be at home and I want to move in with my mom but she is a former addict and a former convicted felon. I just want to know my options

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X