19 years old and I want to run away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 years old and I want to run away

Good evening I'm new here and I'm here to ask for some advice. I'm 19 and was born in a good family and a good home but I keep getting the feeling that I want to go run away. I'm currently studying in post secondary but its something that I don't really enjoy or find any passion in. I didn't want to disappoint any expectations that my family has for me so I went with whatever they thought was a respectable career. I just feel trapped and overwhelmed I guess and I'm thinking of running away, joining the army and blocking all communication with my family. Is there any legal issues or anything important that I have to take care of if I go through with this?

Thank you so much for your time and advice,
    A very thankful guest

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are feeling listless and that you want out of your current setup. Familial pressure about academics and careers can be enormously suffocating so it makes sense that you are feeling claustrophobic about your situation. There isn’t anything illegal about running away or joining the army. Both of these things you have the right to do as a legal adult (unless you are in MS where the age of majority is 21). It would be prudent to make sure that you have all of your vital documents including birth certificate, ID, and social security card. If you have not already, it might be wise to take some time to figure out whether or not you really want to join the army, as that is a pretty big decision. We would be happy to talk with you about what is going on in your head and try to help you hash out what exactly the change you would like to see is. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X