15 and i need to leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 and i need to leave

i'm 15 and i live in nj. i want to leave home but i dont have a job. i'm thinking about running away. my family is borderline abusive and they always call me things like worthless or useless. i am also transgender and they refuse to respect me. i'm also scared that there's a chance i might get sexually assaulted by someone that lives in my household, but i'm too afraid to say something and my family placing the fault on me. what can i do? i have a place to go if i do leave, but i dont know how im going to take care of myself. please help

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with so much for so long, and it’s understandable you’d be looking for a way out of that situation. First of all, the behavior you’re describing is verbal abuse and no one deserves to be treated that way. You deserve to feel safe and cared for at home, and you have the right to report this abuse at any time. If you feel like you’re in immediate danger of being assaulted by someone in your household, please call 911 right away. Otherwise, you can also report any inappropriate or threatening behavior to the authorities as well. You can report it by telling a teacher or nurse at school, calling the police, or notifying your state’s abuse reporting hotline. Child Help is an anonymous 24/7 hotline focused on helping minors experiencing abuse, and they can take an abuse report over the phone or answer questions you might have about the reporting process at 1-800-422-4453.

If you decide to leave home, your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This gives the police the right to bring you home, but you would not be charged with a crime. However, there is a risk of legal consequences for adults you stay with for “harboring a runaway”, depending on your area. It’s also important to think through how to take care of basic needs (food, water, health care, etc). While we are not legal experts, we at NRS are happy to help you find youth shelters in your area at 1-800-786-2929 if that’s an option you’d like to explore.

Your safety is the most important priority, but getting support is also important. Talking to a counselor, friends, or another adult you trust about what you’ve been going through can be helpful when you’re going through a tense or traumatic time at home. We at NRS are happy to help you find mental health support resources in your area. It may also be helpful to talk to someone in the LGBTQ+ community who can relate to some of what you’re experiencing. Another resource that might be helpful is the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743. No one deserves to be abused because they're trans, and we at NRS are happy to talk with you about what you're going through and connect you with other trans-friendly resources that might be helpful for you. Journaling, exercising and finding healthy ways of relieving stress (like hobbies or sports) can also make a difference.
    It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help, and it shows how strong you are that you are thinking through all your options. We are here for you any time.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X