I’m 16, but am wondering about legalities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 16, but am wondering about legalities

I don’t want to open the flood gates, so I’ll keep this blunt. Im going to turn 17 this year and I’m hoping that I can move in with my mom. I’ve heard rumors, even from my mom, that once you’re 17 you can move out. I just don’t know if this would be considered running away, with her consent? I live with my father right now and I’ve wanted to move since I was 11, but I keep getting manipulated into staying.

so, is it legal to move into your other parents house at the age of 17, in Texas?

I don’t want to open the flood gates,

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    It sounds like you would like to leave your dad’s home and move in with your mother but you are unsure if you can do so legally.

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, their parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I don’t want to open the flood gates, so I’ll keep this blunt. Im going to turn 17 this year and I’m hoping that I can move in with my mom. I’ve heard rumors, even from my mom, that once you’re 17 you can move out. I just don’t know if this would be considered running away, with her consent? I live with my father right now and I’ve wanted to move since I was 11, but I keep getting manipulated into staying.

so, is it legal to move into your other parents house at the age of 17, in Texas?
      Hello and welcome

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.
        Thank you, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X