Runaway from a group home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m 17 I ran away from my group home because they were going to send me to a higher level of care because I didn’t turn in my cell phone and the house manager,clinician and state worker tried to force my father to turn off my service he he denied so I ran away I have no criminal charges can they look for me even though I have no criminal record

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15
      Super Moderator
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you've been through a lot and left a situation where you were feeling overwhelmed. We're not legal experts, and without all the details it's hard to say how the police might respond. Generally speaking, people under 18 are considered minors, and if you leave the custody of your legal guardian, you could be considered a runaway. It's not a crime, but it gives police the right to bring you home.

The most important priority is making sure you have a safe place to stay with people you trust. If you want to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 we can look up resources like shelters in your area. Calling 211 can sometimes be a good option as well.

It sounds like you're worried about what could happen next, which is understandable. If you feel comfortable, another idea could be to call a social worker or case worker at the group home that you trust and ask them what the next steps would be, or you could ask your dad to call them for you.

We are here for you any time if you want to chat at 1800runaway.org or talk at 1-800-786-2929.

Stay strong,
      NRS

I live in a group home and I've lived there nearly 5 months, I cant take waiting and I just want to run away and just not look back, but I have nobody to turn to, and I don't want to get into any trouble with the staff where they need to write an IR (incident report) I'm not like that but I don't want to wait for a foster home because I'm the last child that was from my old foster home to get a placement to open up, I don't know what to do and I'm not even close to 18 yet, I just want to get a placement and not have to see the same faces, eat the same food or wake up and do the same routine for another couple months, I know it sounds crazy, and just selfish, but, I can't seem to take staying in a group home for much longer.. what do I do? Where do I go? Well I get into trouble with authorities? I don't know..

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15
      Super Moderator
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear that your time in the group home has been challenging.

First and foremost, if there are concerns about safety in your group home, reaching out to the police would be an option. Additionally, you can also reach out to Child Help at www.childhelp.org and they can assist you with finding your local child protective services agency.

Another option could be to talk with your caseworker or their supervisor to help address whatever you are going through at the group home that is making you want to leave the group home.

It sounds like you are interested in leaving the group home. While we are not legal experts, we do know that typically, if you are under the age of 18 you are considered a minor. If you were to leave the group home without consent, whomever is responsible for your care could report you as a runaway with the local police. Running away is not a crime, but it can be considered a status offense in some states. What this also means is that anyone who houses a runaway minor may be charged with harboring a runaway.

If you want to talk more about your situation and what is going on, you can reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us on our website https://www.1800runaway.org/ .

Stay Safe!

NRS

i live in a group home and the staff treat us like were animlas and im going to run away well actually tonight but the staff here are so unfair and they ugly asf no kizzy cap they physical attack and one staff staff chased me wih a frying pan around in circle

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15
      Super Moderator
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X