No announcement yet.

Runaway from a group home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiii y’all so I’m bout to be put in placement tm Because I missed one day of school and I don’t think it’s worth me going Thur the mental trama again and I have a run away plan I just don’t know if I should run or not cuz i don’t have any charges or anything that I can go to jail for later on and I’m not on probation . But after I turn 18 if I get caught will that get me into trouble . And is it worth running away I just spent 2 and a half years in placement and finally came home and they is tryna send me back for no reason what do u guys think I should do cuz ion think I can make it another year and 9 months in placement (that’s when I turn 1

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Usually when an individual turns 18 any runaway report will become invalid due to the individual is now an adult. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,

NRS

Hi I am a runaway from a group home facility, my custody was handed over to dsc before I got sent to a group home I was only there for a day,reason why I was sent there is because I got caught being a runaway and arrested for illegal substances I FOUND in Walmart. And also have no family. Previously ran away from my sister who was trying to get custudy but gave up on me and wanted to put me in a group home so I ran away the FIRST TIME then got caught, ., I have no family left ,I was adopted at the age 3 by a mother who was verry abusive and a drugy,she beat me up good for last time and called cops on her, didn't want to be put in Foster care again cause I had gotten raped in a previous house I was in and well no one did anything about it cause It was a long time ago and there was no way I was going through that process again, so I ran away from my sisters cause she was trying to put me back in AND THEN from the group home cause I was scared and I wanted to feel safe again ... had a dcs worker but she no longer works for dcs,I am currently 16 years old I don't turn 17 till may,
    ,i ran away with my spouse ,and he is taking care of me along with HIS family, I have no id and no paper work nothing, I want to get emaciated WITHOUT them taking me away from some where I feel safe and at home or AT LEAST have Someone help Me get my id and or paper work so I can get a actual job,... I'm still on the run and I've been for a while , I just need my identification or PLEASE help me get emancipated so I can stop stressing and LIVE and START
    MY LIFE,. Can u please help me or give me advice.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you've hone through a lot in your life and your determination to begin your adult life shows how strong and resilient you are. The abuse that you were subjected to by your mother and foster family is absolutely unacceptable and you should not have had to go through that. Feelings related to this kind of past trauma can linger and it can be really hard to deal with this alone and sometimes it’s helpful to reach out to additional agencies for support. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful.

You mentioned that you were currently staying with your spouse. In most states getting legally married would automatically emancipate you. It may be worthwhile to speak with a legal aid group in your area to verify your local emancipation laws. You can find a legal aid group near you by going to https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help. You can also reach out to your county clerk/registrar/office of records to see if it would be possible to procure ID/reissue identification documents without a guardian being there.

Some employers are more lax about hiring policies and you could possibly find work "under the table" - meaning that it would not be reported. It is worth mentioning that some employers exploit undocumented workers and can push them into dangerous situations or possibly violate their human rights. You can find out more about how to recognize and avoid these practices by going to https://polarisproject.org/human-tra...ecognize-signs.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

hi im 17 and i will be 18 in 10 months i dont know what to do i live in a group home i dont feel safe and i have no where to go what should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. You mentioned that you do not feel safe at your current group home. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening where you are, you have the right to report it.

Once you turn 18 you will be considered a legal adult (barring any kind of legal restraints or court-ordered guardians) and you will be able to live wherever you please. If you need to locate shelter or housing resources you can check out the National Homeless Shelter Directory by going to homelessshelterdirectory.org. You can also try reaching out to your local United Way by dialing 211 as they may be able to refer you to other local agencies.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X