22 years old and have controlling parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 years old and have controlling parents

Hi, a lot of stuff has been going on and I really need to get out of my parents house. I’m 22 so I am a legal adult, but I just need to make sure there is absolutely no way my parents could come after me. I have a place to stay for now with a friend in another state that they don’t know. But I’m just scared they’ll come for me. I know its irrational because I’m an adult but again I just need to make sure I’m safe.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. As you mentioned you are a legal adult and you have the legal freedom to choose where you live. If you do leave your parents can report you as a missing person, but the police would not force you to return.

If home has not been safe and your parents have been making threats, it is normal to have some fear about leaving. Your parents are no longer your legal guardians and do not have the rights to control decisions like where you live. You know what is best for you in your situation, and it sounds like you do have a plan in place with somewhere safe to stay.

If you need additional resources such as housing assistance, please feel welcome to reach out again by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at www.1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X