Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my friend legally move out at 16 in NY?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my friend legally move out at 16 in NY?

This is a question regarding legal issues I live in Orange County, NY.

My friend has a very bad home life with terrible parents and me and my mom are willing to let her move in with us... the only problem is that me and my friend are both only 15 turning 16 this year. I was wondering if in the state of New York it's legal to move out at 16? and if not at 16 then is it legal to move out at 17 after you graduate? because she was born in September and we graduate June 2022
    Yes she can move out at 16
    0%
    No she can't move out at 16 but she can move out at 17
    0%
    She can't move out until she's 18
    0%

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS on behalf of your friend. She is really luck to have such a supportive friend.

The easiest way for your friend to leave home before the age of 18 is with her parents' permission. Until she turns 18 her parents are her legal guardians which means they can decide where she lives. If your friend decides to leave home, her parents can report her as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your friend's parents know where she is staying then they can have the police return her home.

Sometimes having a safe space to talk about things can be an emotional outlet and help you brainstorm options. Perhaps your friend can talk more with your mom or a counselor at school. An adult that she trusts can advocate for her needs to open up communication with her parents.

We truly want to be a support for you and your friend during this challenging situation. Your friend and anyone trying to help her is welcome to reach out anytime by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or live chat at www.1800runaway.org
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X