No announcement yet.

17, Female, GA wants to leave emotionally toxic home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod15
    Re: 17, Female, GA wants to leave emotionally toxic home


    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us what your friend has been going through. She is very lucky to have someone that cares about her the way you do and is willing to reach out for information to help make her life better. We are glad that you reached out on behalf of her. We are here to listen and support you and her in what ways we can.

    Here at NRS we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Generally she is an adult when she turns 18 and if she were to leave home before then, her parents would be able to file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that generally she cannot be arrested for running away, if she is found then the police will bring her back home to her parent’s home and remove the runaway report. Generally those that are helping her leave home without her parent’s permission, such as you and your family, they can criminally be charged. The severity of that varies from state to state, but it can become more sever if she crosses state lines. Generally it becomes a federal offense at that point.

    17 is a tricky age and police departments vary from state to state and city to city on how they handle 17 year old who do not want to leave home. Some police departments will force her to return home until the day she turn 18, while the others may check to see if she is in a safe place and able to support yourself. If she is, then they may not force her to return home. It all depends on the police department that takes the runaway report. She can always call her local police department and generally ask them how they would handle someone in her situation- someone who does not want to return home and is 17.
    Emancipation may be an option, but generally that takes about 6 months and the youth must prove to the court that she is able to support herself without her parents. If she or you were to give us a call on our hotline we could look up legal aid in your area so she can get more information on that. Again, she is really lucky to have you look out for her.

    Also we would like to add that she has no right to be mistreated in any way. If she feels she is being mistreated and would like to make an abuse report she can call Child Help USA at 1800-422-4453 and they can take the child abuse report. If she does not feel comfortable doing it herself she can call us and we can do it for her.

    We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you or she can always give us a call on our hotline or chat with us on our website. We are 24/7. We wish you both the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.


    Leave a comment:

  • Unregistered
    Guest started a topic 17, Female, GA wants to leave emotionally toxic home

    17, Female, GA wants to leave emotionally toxic home

    My friend is 17 years old, she lives with her father and step mother. They deny her public school, don't allow her to eat more than 1 meal a day, deny her access to the outside world, so she has no license, job, friends or anything, she has to sneak and make phone calls to me. My family is more than happy to let her live with us, and help her have a normal life. What do I do to help her get out of that situation? Her mother is deceased and her father has removed all ties with her relatives so she does not know what to do.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp