No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help

    I’m 17 and adopted, when I was 15 my legal guardian who I call “mom” kicked me out because I came out and told her that her adopted son has been sexually assaulting me. So I lived with my friend’s family for about 8 months, after that I lived with my boyfriend who is also 17. My boyfriend has been through things himself with his family and he wanted to leave. Throughout this whole time I was in contact with my “mom” and told her everything that’s been going on because when she kicked me out she moved to Florida with the rest of her family. So I told her the situation and she said that me and my boyfriend can go live with her in Florida and she also told my boyfriends mother to write a notarized letter stating she’s giving him permission to leave the state and move in with me and my mother. So after a month staying with my “mom” in Florida she kicked my boyfriend out and sent him back to New York not Caring on how he would get there, she even threatened to call the cops on him. And my boyfriend loved my “mom”as if she were his mother. Ever since my boyfriend left my “mom” has been saying that I was the one who sexually assaulted my niece and nephew when I was around 8 years old. she even told the authorities that I’m a monster and a rapist, when I was the one who was sexually assaulted and abused by her adopted son, her adopted son also sexually assaulted my nieces and nephew, and his biological sister. For about 2 months she’s been lying to me saying that I’m going to jail and that I have an open case on me so I won’t leave the state. She even took my phone so I won’t be in contact with the authorities. I went to my school and tried to reach for help and they tried there best that they can do to help me. Just recently the authorities came to my school to inform me that my “mom” has been lying to me and that they never had my phone. The authorities told me that there was never a case on me and if there was that I would too young to face any real charges. I just turned 17 and I want to run away to my boyfriends house in New York but I don’t want anyone to get in trouble. What can I do?

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS – it takes a lot of courage to share your story. We’re so sorry to hear that your “mom” and her adoptive son have been treating you this way – it’s not your fault and you certainly don’t deserve it. But we’re glad to hear that your boyfriend and school have been supportive.
    From what you’ve told us, it sounds like you’re experiencing abuse and neglect. You’re able to report this to the Florida Department of Children and Families if you wish. Their phone number is 1-800-962-2873. Child Help is an excellent organization – their website ( might also be helpful to you. You can also call us at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY if you want to learn more about reporting, want help in filing a report, or just want to talk. We’re 24/7 and confidential. We’re here to listen, and we’re here to help. You’re not alone in this.
    You know your situation better than anyone else, so if you believe that running away is your best option, we will do our best to support you and keep you safe. Running away is a status offense, not a legal one, which means that it’s something you can’t do because of your age. In other words, running away in and of itself cannot get you in legal trouble. If you run away, your mom files a runaway report, and the police find you, they will attempt to take you home. If that happens and you tell them that you don’t feel safe at home, they’ll call the Florida Department of Children and Families and a social worker will conduct a full investigation.
    Another option is what’s called an Alternative Living Arrangement. If your “mom” gives her written permission, you can live with someone else (your boyfriend’s family, for example) until you turn 18.
    Again, we are so sorry that you’ve had to go through all of this – but you’re not alone. Please don’t hesitate to call at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY or chat with us at
    Good luck and stay safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif