No announcement yet.

15 want to move with friend.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15 want to move with friend.

    I am a 15 year old ,and I live in Douglas County Georgia. Ever since before I was born,my parents have caused issues in the family. They have abused me mentally, physically,and tried to strangle me to death on several occasions. I am turning 16 in march 2017.My dad has threatened to have me removed from the home.I used to get in trouble at school because I couldn't channel my anger from home ,and at school people would always do something to piss me off,not knowing what I already was going through. Anyway,I told my dad I want to be emancipated,but my friends 23 year old sister said that she would be my legal guardian ,and would let me stay with her at her apartment. I already have a lot to do as far as school,and I also rap and am set for tour in October. My parents don't know about my rap career, and I needed to be come my friends sisters legal guardian,so that she could also support me and allow me to tour.I need this to happen ASAP, but I don't want go through court, so is it possible,that I print out a paper that transfers my guardianship from my parents to my friends sister,and we all sign it??please rely asap.

  • #2
    Re: 15 want to move with friend.


    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. It sounds like you are being mistreated at home by your parents, with the disclosure of the physical and emotional abuse. No one deserves to have to go through that, especially having their family try to strangle them. That is something no one should have to go through. We are sorry to hear that your parents are not supportive of your band and you going on tour. That is pretty awesome. We are so glad that you decided to each out to us and we are here to listen and support you in what ways we can.

    Here at NRS we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Generally you are an adult when you turn 18 and if you were to leave home before then, your parents would be able to file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that generally you cannot be arrested for running away, if you are found then the police will bring you back home to your parent’s home and remove the runaway report. Generally those that are helping you leave home without your parent’s permission, such as your friend’s sister, they can criminally be charged. The severity of that varies from state to state, but it can become more sever once you cross state lines. Generally it becomes a federal offense at that point.

    If you are wanting to change who your legal guardian is it will have to go through the court system, because changing a legal guardian is a legal process. You may have to provide proof that your parents are not fit to take custody and it is up to the judge if you are able to live with your friend’s sister. Here is a legal resource that may be able to answer these questions for you, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation Inc (404) 521-0790, Civil Pro Bono Family Law, (404) 581-0598. Another thing to note, is that generally with emancipation you have to prove to the court that you are able to provide for yourself before the age of 18. That may require proving your income, you have a safe place to stay, and essentially that you are able to support yourself without the help of your parents.

    Also we would like to add that you have no right to be mistreated in any way. If you feel you are being mistreated and would like to make an abuse report you can call Child Help USA at 1800-422-4453 and they can take the child abuse report. If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself you can call us and we can do it for you.

    We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can always give us a call on our hotline or chat with us on our website. We are 24/7. We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp