Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name for school?

I relocated from NYC to Los Angeles about a year and a half ago to get away from my physically abusive mother and her manipulation. Im financially and emotionally stable right now, and would like to complete my high school education (Im 17). My biggest concern about this is them finding my old school and parents and contacting them if I enroll with my birth name. I was planning to simply change my last name and use that. Is this illegal and does it have serious consequences?

Re: Name for school?

Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you went through a lot at home. You deserve to safe and not harmed in any way.
    We’re glad you want to move forward with completing your high school education. You said that you are worried about using your legal name to enroll in school. The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act Ensures educational rights and protections for youth experiencing homelessness and may be able to assist you with your situation. Here is the contact information for the California Department of Education Improvement and Accountability Division.
    Name: Ms. Leanne Wheeler.
    Phone number: (916) 319-0383
    Email: [email protected]
    Address: 1430 N Street, 6th Floor, Suite 6208
    You are also welcome to reach out to us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY so that we can discuss your situation further to explore additional options if needed.
    Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X