Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18, Mother not giving my things I PAID for out of the house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18, Mother not giving my things I PAID for out of the house.

Hi , i live in kansas.i am 17 , turning 18 in feb. of 2017. i have had a rocky road with my parents.
    My stepdad has put his hands on all of 3 my sisters and i , as well as my mother. once i saw him beat my mom.
    last year he choked me with a charger chord. i called the cops and he was arrested.
    my mother bailed him out the very next morning
    ever since then my relationship with both my stepdad and mom has been horrible. i have walked out twice each time because a parent told me to
    they came and got me soon after.
    i do all the house chores , watch my sisters , dont get to go out and do anything.
    i have chosen that at 18 i want to move out.
    my biological father has agreed to pay my rent, as i will pay for car insurance and health insurance , personal needs , etc.
    i will have a room mate.
    i have this VERY PLANNED OUT! i even know WHERE the apartment is, talked to the land lord and so on.
    HERE is my biggest issue.
    EVERYTHING i have in my room , furniture , clothes , makeup , shoes , you name it , I HAVE BOUGHT. i have been working since i was 14.
    WHAT IF , she doesnt let me take my stuff with me ? what do i do?
    also , can i leave THE DAY i turn 18?? at 12 am???

RE: 18, Mother not giving my things I PAID for out of the house.

Hello There,

Thank you for posting on our forum. It was really brave of you to tell us your story. It sounds like things have been scary at home. Your stepdad has no right to lay his hands on anyone and you don’t deserve to endure that kind of treatment.

Since it sounds like you are still under 18, you have the right to report any further incidents that might happen and certainly anything that has happened and hasn’t been reported. If you’re curious about reporting and how to do it, please visit www.childhelp.org.

If your mother doesn’t let you take the things you bought with you money, it may come down to your word versus her’s. We’re not legal experts here, but it sounds like you’d have to be able to prove that you bought these items if it came down to a legal matter involving police or a lawsuit. You might be able to get a majority of these items out at a time that no one would be there to stop you. Maybe if you tried to coordinate with your dad you might be able to get these things to your new place.

It’s great that you have a supportive father who is willing to help you out when you move out. That sounds like a great comfort to you in this difficult time. And again, we’re not legal experts, but if 18 is the age of majority (adulthood) in your state, then when you are officially considered to be 18 (on your birthday) then you are an adult.

If you wanted to discuss this in more detail we encourage you to give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’d be happy to refer you to legal aid if you think you might need help in figuring out how to ensure you get your items back from mom. If you can’t call, please consider using our Live Chat option right here on this website.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X