No announcement yet.

What can I do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What can I do?

    My son was under legal guardian of my parents, but became ward of the state, and as of now is a run away. I'm a non- custodial parent which means I have no say in anything. However, I am extremely concerned because no one wants to give me information about what I can do if he comes to my house. Would I have to turn him into the police, call his worker, call my parents and can they call the police on me if I let him stay with me? I'm not sure what to do. He's called me and I want him to come home instead if being on the streets. What could I do?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-03-2020, 02:53 AM.

  • #2
    My son was under legal guardian of my parents

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

    We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We understand your concern for your son. You did a good job by reaching out to NRS

    While we are not experts on the law, someone that is a ward of the state and runs away may be reported as a runaway with the police. You are required to contact the legal guardian or the police within 24hrs. Most states allow 24hrs to provide safe harbor. Failing to do this may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police or Child protective services.

    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    Be safe,
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-03-2020, 02:55 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif