No announcement yet.

Will I be arrested and took back home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will I be arrested and took back home

    Can I leave my home if I’m 17 and I’ll be 18 in two months will I be arrested ?

  • #2

    Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. It shows a lot of maturity that you are researching all your options before making your next move.

    Although we’re not legal experts, in most states, until you are 18, you need your parent or legal guardian’s permission to leave home legally. If you leave without their permission and your parents/guardians file a runaway report with the police, it gives police the right to bring you home. But running away is not a crime, just a statutory offense (something that’s only illegal when you’re a minor). So all the police can do is bring you home; you wouldn’t be charged with a crime.

    Even though that’s the law, sometimes we hear that local police departments won’t bother to follow up on a runaway report for a minor who is close to being 18. An idea you could try is calling the non-emergency number of your police department and asking them how they would respond to a runaway report for a 17-year-old.

    If you’d like to talk more about your situation or brainstorm other options, we are here for you 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    • #3
      Will anyone who allows a runaway to be in their home get arrested?


      • ccsmod4
        ccsmod4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

        We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

        While we are not experts on the law, someone that is a ward of the state and runs away may be reported as a runaway with the police. You are required to contact the legal guardian or the police within 24hrs. Most states allow 24hrs to provide safe harbor. Failing to do this may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police.

        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

        Be safe,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif