No announcement yet.

please help

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • please help

    I need to get out of my mom's house. I can't tell if this is abuse and i'm probably overreacting, but i feel she is manipulating me and those around me. I am terrified of her and i have something like an anxiety attack (not diagnosed with anything like that, just a guess) almost everyday. Im self harming and suicidal and im not even able to tell my therapist that because i know what my mom will do when she finds out. I want to go live with my dad, permanently (mom and dad divorced). my sense of reality is so warped I cant be in this household any longer. i am scared 100% of the time. i need to know what i could do to permenantly live with my dad. i am 15, in new york. i cant tell if this is abuse, i dont feel safe around my mother and i dont think i ever will be. im sorry this is so terribly written, but im panicking and im so, so scared. i just need some help. if anyone has any information, legal or in general that could help me, please share.

  • #2

    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it takes great courage to write about your situation, and we appreciate your openness and honesty.

    It is important you know that you do not deserve to be abused, nor feel scared at home. You can always contact Child Help to talk about your options for abuse reporting. They are available at 1-800-422-4453. You are clearly struggling to stay mentally well under the weight of life at home. Sometimes, this can lead to suicidal thoughts and self harm. If you ever need help in a dark moment, The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a great hotline staffed with volunteers to help you through it. You can reach them at 1-800-273-8255. To Write Love on Her Arms is also an amazing resource. It’s a blog that can be accessed at There, people write about their experiences with self harm and how they got through them. It sounds like because of all the hardship at home, you want to leave and live with Dad. We are not legal experts, nor do we know what your parents’ custody situation is like, but in some cases it has been possible for one parent to take full custody due to unsafe situations at the other home. You can always try calling legal aid in your state. We can provide you with those numbers if you call us and let us know your location. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

    We hope you find some of this useful. You were so brave to reach out. Please always feel free to reach out to us at any time. We hope you stay safe and strong on this difficult journey. We are here.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove