Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can parents get in trouble for not reporting children missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can parents get in trouble for not reporting children missing?

My step brother recently ran away and we know that he’s safe and at a friends house, but we feel that he needs to come home. He claims that my parents hit him and call him horrible names but I’ve never experienced this, I’ve never seen him with a mark on him other than self-inflicted, and I’m home all the time and never hear them yelling at him. he is definitely going through a rebellious phase and just pierced his face without parental consent and when my parents tried to take his phone away he stated that he was going to run away and never come back. The next day he never came home from school. I’m just wondering if my parents can get in trouble for not filing a missing persons report or a runaway report? Does this count as negligence? I’m very confused about it and he’s been gone for 36 hours.

Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like your step brother is going through a rough time, and it also seems like your family is going through an overwhelming time as well.
    If your parents were to not file a runaway report they could potentially get in trouble for neglect if something were to happen to your step brother. If they file a runaway report your step brother will not be arrested, as running away is not a criminal offense.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X