No announcement yet.

Run Away to Canada or suicide?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Run Away to Canada or suicide?

    I am almost sixteen and I want to run away. I want to move to Canada, but how? Is it legal? There are many things I need to think about I know, but I just need to get out of this hectic house. My family is very dysfunctional!!! I live in Oklahoma so I know that the legal age to move out is 18, but is there any way I can start a new live in another country? I want to finish school, get a job, rent an apartment....everything I would do here if it were legal.
    Why do I want to leave? I'm not being abused but my family makes me feel so left out. I feel different, they make me feel like I am nothing. They make fun of who and what I am. There is no peace I this house, I feel like there never will be. The people here have me left hanging in h***, it makes me want to feel death so I never have to have this feeling again.

    Please answer soon before I get pushed off into a hole I can't ever return from.
    Thank you,
    H (name taken out for confidentiality)

  • #2
    Re: Run Away to Canada or suicide?

    Hello there,

    Thanks for reaching out on our forum. It sounds like there is a lot going on at home with your family and you’re trying to figure out options should you decide to leave home. From what you wrote, it sounds like you’re also having thoughts of suicide and we want you to know we’re here to listen and provide support to the best of your ability. We aren’t here to judge you or tell you what to do; however, we do care about your safety. Another resource which might be helpful is

    You mentioned you live in Oklahoma and it seems like you’ve done research on the age of majority being 18 in your state. We’re incredibly sorry your family makes fun of you and you don’t feel peace at home. Abuse or not, it really sounds like you’re hurting and we hope you realize you do deserve love and support at home.

    We are not legal experts; however, we’d imagine minors would have to follow the same immigration process as adults when moving to Canada. As a minor you would likely need your parents/guardians involvement which we realize might be the option you were hoping for if you leave. If you’re interested in local resources and would like to share your city or town in Oklahoma, we’d be happy to search our database. It sounds like time is a concern too so we encourage you to try out our Live Chat for more immediate assistance. Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp