Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move out when I’m 18

Right now I live in Oklahoma and I HATE it here. I’m turning 18 next year on halloween and it’ll be my senior year of high school. I want to move back to Colorado and graduate there. Once I turn 18 would I be able to enroll myself into another high school and legally move away?

Hey there,
    We're glad that you reached out and understand it takes a lot of bravery to talk about how you're feeling. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. If you do wait until you are 18 to leave, you would need to consider where you will stay, how you will financially support yourself and how you will transport yourself. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    Best of Luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X