Running to a different country ie. Canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running to a different country ie. Canada

I live in a group home in the U.S and I am having a hard time here.
    I was wondering what happens to runaway charges if you flee to a different country.

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to NRS.

It sounds like you are thinking leaving your group home and going to Canada, but you have some concerns about the consequences. Generally speaking if you leave without the permission of your legal guardian, you can be reported as a runaway. If you come into contact with law enforcement or they know where you are, police are likely to return you home. We cannot say for sure what will happen if you go to a different country since we are not sure of the details of your situation. You can call the non-emergency number for the local police department to ask questions about their runaway protocols which can be done anonymously.

Your safety is really important and it would be helpful to have a plan before you decide to leave. So you might want to consider things like looking for safe places to stay that are closer to you since going to a different country is really difficult, how you will travel, where you will stay, and how you can get money for things like food and other necessities. If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation so that we can better help, we are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and by live chat services at www.1800runaway.org. We want to support you through this challenging situation and help you discover your possible options.

We look forward to hearing from you soon,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X