No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and want to move to my 18-year-old sister's

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 15 and want to move to my 18-year-old sister's

    I'm F15 and want to move to my sister's house, she is 18 and has a stable job. I recently moved to a new town and I hate it here, I've been given more school work then I can mentally handle, I've had more panic attacks this week than I have ever experienced in my entire life. They won't let me get a job or get my drivers permit so im stuck at home all day which is only making my depression even worse. And my mom won't even let me get ADHD or anxiety medicine which makes school even harder. I just can't take it anymore and I want to move back. Is it legal to move in with my sister, I live in Texas if that is helpful.

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home where your mental health needs aren't being responded to in an appropriate manner. It makes sense that you would want to live somewhere where you have more freedom and feel supported. If you are planning on staying with your sister and her boyfriend it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc.

    In terms of the legality of running away, we aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home. While it's awesome to hear that your sister and her boyfriend are supportive of you they do run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation. You can also call your local nonemergency police line (you can usually dial 311) to verify local runaway policy.

    It can be really hard to live with mental health issues like depression and anxiety and we want you to know that you aren’t alone in addressing them. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-800-662-4357 or you can go to their site at You may also want to look into practices like meditation, mindfulness and breathing exercises to help get you through panic attacks when they arise.

    If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove