No announcement yet.

16 Running away how can i enroll myself in school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 16 years old and ran away from my moms house. I did find stable housing but I want to continue my education

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us, we know it takes a lot of courage to share your story. It's great to hear that you're interested in continuing on with your education! Having your high school diploma (or GED certificate) can certainly expand the opportunities that can be available to you.

Under the McKinney-Vento Act, you are guaranteed the right to:
      -Remain in your school of origin (if possible)
      -Transportation to and from your school of origin (if possible)
      -Immediate enrollment in a new school, regardless of if you have the normally required documents
      -Receive free school meals
      -Receive services like educational support, school counseling, etc.

You can learn more about the McKinney-Vento Act and find your local liaison by going to: https://nche.ed.gov/data/

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

I’m 18 and I really want to go back to school. How do I re-enroll?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us, we know it takes a lot of courage to share your story. Since you are considered a legal adult you should be able to enroll yourself in school with no issues. Additionally, you may qualify for educational assistance under the McKinney-Vento Act. If you qualify, this act would guarantee you the right to stay in your original school and be provided transportation to and from school (to the extent possible), enrollment in a school in your area, receive free school meals and to receive services like educational supports and basic needs. To find out more about how to take advantage of the McKinney-Vento act we suggest calling your school directly.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

hi im 16 and im miserable in my home and scared for my well being. I decided i want to run away, i have no idea what or how i can make this work and i dont want to end up homeless because of this, is there any type of program or way i can leave home and get help with getting a place to stay, a secure job, and schooling, or any advice to do this myself. I dont have any options.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      We’re really glad that you have reached out to us. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation. It’s very brave of you to reach out for help. It sounds like you are having a difficult time at home and we want to do our best to help support you in finding a safe option. If you feel like you are being abused you can reach out to ChildHelp (National Child Abuse Hotline) at 1-800-799-7233 or their website childhelp.org. If you are feeling unsafe and need to somewhere safe to go, you can reach out to National Safe Place by texting 44357 and saying SAFE and your location. Again, we want to help support you during this difficult time. If you would like to talk through different options or want more resources in your area, we are available to talk or chat 24/7.
      In order for us to best support you, we recommend that you call us at 1-800-786-2929 or use our chat service from our website www.18000runaway.org. Once again, we are a confidential, 24 hour crisis hotline and are here to support you.
      Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X