No announcement yet.

My best friend is in an abusive situation, and I want to help.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My best friend is in an abusive situation, and I want to help.

    Hi everyone.

    I'm 16 years old and my best friend has not lived in the best home situation throughout his childhood, although at first it was loving, but that has since changed.
    His stepfather has not been the best to him in his recent years, and has found small reasons to completely detain him at home. His stepdad has beat him, thrown him
    into dressers, and choked him out. My friend lives with two half siblings who do not receive this treatment from his stepdad, and we believe it's because his siblings
    are his stepdad's actual children. His mother does nothing to help, and sometimes contributes to the abuse. (i.e. slapping him across the face and yelling). He has been
    accused of being "insane" because he got angry, and I don't think his dad realizes that he's such a frustrated kid when his stepdad tells him that the best moment of his
    life will be when my friend moves out of their house...

    So we got an idea. My parents are on board, and he wants to move in with me and my family. I am going to consult legal advice, but realistically I know that the only
    way it will work is if his parents consent to the move... Which I doubt they will. Even though his mother ran away from home when she was a teenager, and his father
    wants him to move out. We are also worried that his father might lash out and beat him...

    So my question is, is it a good idea to go through with this? Even if they consent in a contract could there be legal issues? And do you think our reason for wanting
    this move are justified?

    Thanks so much for the help and any response I get is absolutely invaluable.

  • #2
    Re: My best friend is in an abusive situation, and I want to help.

    Thanks so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your friend is in a tough situation; it’s great that he has a friend like you looking out for him and helping him gather information. It’s got to be really tough being stuck in a house with parents he doesn’t get along with.
    First and foremost, it’s never ok to receive abuse from a parent or anyone. If your friend finds himself in that situation and wants to report it, he can call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can report the abuse or he can call your local police station to report the abuse himself.
    It sounds like you’ve carefully thought about your friend’s options in this situation, and you’re asking the right questions. You’re right, you will most likely need his parents’ consent to allow him to live with you and your family, but that’s not impossible! We aren’t legal experts here, so it’s a great idea to talk to a legal professional. It’s important to follow the rules carefully when dealing with a situation as delicate as this.
    This situation is difficult and it might be a big undertaking, but your reasoning for getting your friend out of his house is justified. He doesn’t deserve to be treated so poorly by his parents, removing him from that situation is a matter of safety.
    Thank you so much for contacting us. Remember you and your friend can call us any time if you have questions or concerns. Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7. We wish you both the best!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp