No announcement yet.

I am almost 17 and I am thinking about moving in with another family

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am almost 17 and I am thinking about moving in with another family

    I am almost 17. I have had and still have really bad mental health. I have been hospitalized 5 times for mental health issues and for stabilization. I am battling with depression. And right now family is a huge stressor. They invalidate me and my opinions, they don’t listen to me when I give them ideas on how to help me. My mom has chronic sleep ensomnia and so she doesn’t sleep. This makes my mom always in a terrible mood where she is either screaming at me my sister or my dad or even at just objects like the dishes. Yelling and loud noises provoke my anxiety greatly. When any body in my family makes decision that my dad does not like my dad uses threatening tactics to scare us into abiding with his opinion. Any way a family who I have considered family for a very long time have talked to me and we have talked about how it would be very beneficial for my mental health if I moved in with them. They said I wouldn’t be a financial burden and would love having me there. I think that being in a different environment would help me greatly. Not some thing I want to be permanent but just for a while. I really think that with out family as a minor stressor in my life for a while it will be easier to recover from minor depressive disorder and maybe even help with anxiety. What is y’all opinion because I don’t want to make a decision that wouldn’t be right. I just am really desperate for recovery

  • #2
    Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out! We appreciate you seeking help.

    To begin with, you mentioned that you’ve been going through a lot right at home with verbal abuse, and it has been affecting your mental health. You’re very brave for enduring it all, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, and option to consider would be to talk to someone about how this abuse have been affecting you mentally. If you wish to explore that option further you may contact the national alliance on mental health at 1800) 950-6264. In the same way, the substance abuse and mental health services hotline at 1800) 622-4357 would be able to hear you out, and refer you to counseling or other sources to assist you with this case.

    Along those same lines, we’re not legal experts, but if you decide to leave your home without parental consent, your family may contact the authorities, and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some consequences for harboring a runaway. An option to explore would be to talk with your parents, and see if you can spend a couple of nights away with their consent in the family’s other home. If you ever feel like your safety is in danger you may text the word safe and your location to 44357. The national safe place will text you a safe location to go to, and a case worker will be out to assist you.

    Again, thank you so much for reaching out. You’re really brave for seeking help during this difficult time. If you need additional resources, or want us to call on your behalf, please feel free to reach out to us anytime 24/7 at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove