X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Im 15 and live in the uk I want to leave home because my parent emotionally abuses me is there any laws stopping me from doing so.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    RE: 15 almost 16 and i want to leave

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you have a really stressful situation at home. Sounds like you are looking for a job so you can file for emancipation when you turn 16. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are not legal experts, but we can try to give you some general information. In many states, you might have to file for a special permit to work before a certain age. You might be able to find work doing things like baby-sitting, yard work, or shoveling snow or doing odd jobs without this permit. If you are considering emancipation, you might consider seeking legal representation. If you run away before you are 18 or become emancipated, your mom can file a runaway report and the police can force you to return home. If you have any more questions or you want to talk about your plans, we are here to help!

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    15 almost 16 and i want to leave

in 3 months ill be 16 and i cant stand my family. I know that my mom loves me and treats me good but i cant stand her or my siblings. I am the opposite of my whole family and .im getting sick and tired of it. I am a so called "stoner" but i consider myself very smart. All i need to know is that if there is any places that hire at 15 so i can get a job and then at 16 i can hopefully emmancipate myself. Also i need to know what are the laws if i run away before 16 then im still gone at 16 and my mom files me as a run away and i try to emmancipate myslef is there anything she can do after im 16 to get me home?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: 16 when I runaway

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, we’re sorry that you have a lot going on at this point. It seems like you are going through a pretty frustrating time. We’re glad that you were able to reach out to us and were able to tell us a little of what is going on.

So, unfortunately we are not legal experts here, but we can speak generally about what we do know. Because you are still 16, you are still considered a minor in Illinois which means your parents are still allowed to file a runaway report and put you in the national database. Typically, what police do if you are found is force you to go back home. There are some things that you might want to consider before you run away:

What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    What would make me stay at home? How will I survive?
    Is running away safe? Who can I count on to help me?
    Have I given this enough thought?
    What are my other options?
    If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    When I return home, what will happen?

As I mentioned earlier, we are not legal experts, but from what we have understood, there is no other way you can try and get emancipated without going to court. If you would like to know more information about being emancipated in Illinois, you can contact the resource below:

NORTHWEST YOUTH OUTREACH

Phone number: 773-777-6377

9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday

If you ever feel like you need someone to talk to, please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are here 24/7 and would be more than happy to assist you in the best way we can. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    16 when I runway

I insist on running away to a different state and getting a job to help pay rent in my bfs and my apt . If iruns away and get a job don't they run my social security number. And since my parents will report me missing wouldn't that come up when they run my SSN.

Also what are the laws for runaways in IL

And how can I get emancipated with out going to court in the state of IL

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    replied
    Re: I need help

Thanks for reaching out to us today and it sounds like you’re dealing with some hard things at home. We’re sorry to hear that and we’d like to help you as best as we can. It sounds like you’re relationship with your mom is not really stable and is hard and stressful. That can be a really hard thing to deal with especially since you are living with her so we’re really glad you’re reaching out for help. Sometimes if there really is no way out or you have to stay there for a while it may be a good option to come up with other ways than just talking to communicate with her about how you feel. Writing a letter, talking with a therapist or mediator, leaving her a message through our services as well as having a trusted family member or friend advocate for you while you both talk can be some ways to talk about what’s going on without things ending up difficult or tense.

If you’re feeling like you really just need to leave, sometimes it helps to set up a family or friends house as a safe place for you to stay for a couple days or hang out at if you’re feeling like you can’t be around your mom anymore.
    Sometime there are youth shelters that will take kids your age but there are a lot of factors that go into this and sometimes they require parental consent which may possibly be an issue if you’re mom wants you to stay with her. They are also not always long term and may also just be a short term option for now.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    I need help

I'm 14 and im going to be 15 this summer that's when I plan on leaving. I need to get out of this place me and my mom don't have a steady relationship at all. When im 18 she's already kicking me out so why not leave now. Its so hard living her, I just cant anymore. How do I leave and support myself without her sending the cops after me again.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Re: im 15, i want to live with my sister

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear you’re having a tough time with your mom and dad. You certainly don’t deserve to be picked on. That’s got to be frustrating.

Just so you know, unless you get your parent’s permission to live with your sister they could file a runaway report on you and you could be detained by police till they come to get you. If you do leave without permission and they file a report, anyone you stay with – including your sister – could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a crime. We don’t know exactly what would happen, but these are possibilities.

If you would like to talk more about your situation we are always here to listen and help in whatever way we can. We can discuss your options and try and help you figure out what your next best step is. Our biggest concern is that you are safe. We hope to hear from you. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    im 15, i want to live with my sister

Hi im 15 years old , i will turn 16 in 4 months , by then i will find a job ... however, i live with my mom & dad .. i honestly hate living there , i live under strict rules, i get constantly picked on by my dad , & my mom doesnt want to leave my father, however she also agrees to everything he says , & i dont want to live a place where their rules are unfair ... but when im 16 i want to move in with my sister

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: Help

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you have quite a bit going on, you probably are feeling pretty stressed at this point in your life. We’re very sorry to hear about your father and the rest of the stressors in your life. It is a great thing to have your aunt who is willing to help you and support you with your decisions if you needed.

From what you have shared, it seems like you and your mother have a pretty rocky relationship and you feel like she doesn’t really care about how you might feel. It seems like the death in the family may have had a big impact on you two. Have the both of you considered possibly going to see a therapist or a counselor? Perhaps there you would be able to talk about your feelings and see how your mom is taking in all of this pressure at this time.

As far as moving in with your aunt, we are not legal experts here but from experience we do know that because you are a minor, you would need parental consent in order to move in with your aunt. It might seem pretty difficult, but if you would like, you can call in and we will be able to help talk things through and give you some recourses that are in your area like counseling and legal aids that would be able to help you in your situation. We are also here to listen to you, you can count us as your new support.

Thank you for reaching out to us and always feel welcomed to come back.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Justinrichter14
    Guest replied
    Help

I'm a 15 year old guy and want to live with my aunt, my father died so my mom made me move to Florida, but my aunt is in Missouri, my aunt wants to help, my mom doesn't care about how I feel at all, I'm very depressed, she took me away from my family and trying to cut them out from my life, my brother is 3 and only met our dad 4 times and barely knows me, please help I can't take it here.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    replied
    RE Don't wana deal with this crap anyore

Hello

Thank you for reaching out again. At this time we have provided you with the information you had asked about earlier. For further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Tybalt_Paco
    Guest replied
    Don't wanna deal with this crap anymore...

I want to run away so bad, and the urge just keeps growing and growing everyday. I think eventually I'm just gonna say enough and leave and not turn back. The only problem with all that is that I'm only 15, but I think that I'm old enough to decide where I wanna live. I want to go of and live with my girlfriend and her mom is perfectly willing to take me in if I just showed up out of no where. I hate how my girlfriend and I don't get to see each other but once a week. Lady night I was with her and her mom was driving me home and she, my girlfriend, was in my arms and I thought to myself how much I want to be able to be with her everyday and how much I miss her when I'm just sitting at home or at school, and even with my friends I will catch myself staring off somewhere thinking about how much I miss her. I just can't take living at my house anymore especially since Friday night when my dad was talking bull crap about my girlfriend and I swung at him a few times but I didn't hit him, and I missed every time on purpose, but my fist was only inches away from his face, then he ended up putting me in a headlock on the ground with 245 lbs of person on top of me to pin me down. I just don't want to live with him anymore and I don't wanna call the cops for my siblings' sakes.
    I just don't know what to do anymore and I'm sick of all of this. It's not illegal to run away in my state, but I can still get court or sent back home if I do and my parebts file a runaway report.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    replied
    re: Wondering...

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like a very frustrating situation living so far from your girlfriend. It's great that you are exploring your options. Although we are not legal experts here it is to our understanding that with the permission of your legal guardian you would be able to live somewhere else. Ultimately your guardian is responsible for your safety until you are of legal age. However it is at the discretion of your guardian where you live and they have the right to revoke that at any time. So that means if your parents give you permission to live somewhere, you are able to do that, but if they change their mind, they have the right to do that too.

It’s great you are exploring your options and trying to stay out of trouble. Please feel free to email us again at any time or call us 24 hours a day 7 days a week at 1 (800) RUNAWAY (786-2929). We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Tybalt_Paco
    Guest replied
    Wondering...

I'm 15 and I was thinking about running away to live with my girlfriend. It would be nice to wake upto my girlfriend right there next to me every morning and, even, to be able to see her everyday, bc we live an hour apart. At first she wanted me to run away, then I asked her again later and she said no bc she doesn't want me to go to court or get arrested or anything. She said that she would be happy if I ran away to live with her.
    So, I was reading some other threads and saw that y'all mentioned that I could get my parents' permission to go live somewhere else, even if I'm underage, and not get in trouble by authorities or anything. I told my girlfriend about that and she said it would be nice if they said I could.

I was wondering, is that true, or is there something else to it that I maybe didn't catch?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢