No announcement yet.

im 15 and wanting to run away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need to go to the police but I'm scared. I am 15 and ran away a few days ago. No one will help me and I can't find anywhere to stay. I don't know how to talk to the police

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi There,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re caught in a difficult situation and looking for a way out. We’re here to help you in any way that we can.

You said you ran away a few days ago, don’t have a place to stay and are thinking about going to the police. While we are not legal experts here, it may help to know that running away is not a crime, but only a status offense. This means that if you go to the police to tell them about your situation while you are considered a runaway, you would only be brought home to your legal guardians. However, if abuse is disclosed, they would not bring you home but most likely open a case with your local child services agency. If you’d like to talk more in depth about your situation, we may be able to provide a range of resources (from shelters to legal aid) and offer support while you’re going through this difficult time.

If you’d like to talk to us a little more, we can be reached 24/7 on our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our live chat between 4:30pm and 11:30pm central time daily. We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
      NRS

• I'm 15 years old and I also want to runaway. I can't deal with my aunt anymore, I'm always "a liar" she never believes anything i say, she talks about me as if i'm a bad person I'm basically like a slave. I'm not allowed to do anything and I'm always in trouble for no particular reason. I don't understand why she's so controllable over me. She constantly takes my phone and threaten to send me to boot camp or a military school. She told me that she would call the police if I left the house but i'm tired of everything I really can't do this anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the way your aunt has been treating you. You don’t deserve to be treated that way. If you plan on running away, having a plan about where you would go and how you would support yourself is important. If you were to leave home, your aunt could file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. If you decided to runaway to a friend’s house, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Talking to someone that you trust such as family members, a school counselor, or teacher, may help. You could always call our crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) for assistance or support as well.
      Best of luck
      - NRS

• Hey I need advice Im probably going to go talk to my councelor or something but I need advice for the future, My parents don't choose to support me in my passion and Im really stressed out because I can never seemyself goign to college it is not what I would want to do I want tto pursue a career as aprofessional gamer or musicion I have been working on some music/grinding but ill probably side towards the pro gamer. Imjust looking for advice ,I havent told either of my parents of what Ive been wanting to do but I know for a good chance/fac tthey arent goign tosupport me and its not looking to great . Im planning to at least leave with my highschool diploma Im even considering trying to get a job9-5 just so i can move out, I just need advice to what compromise I could come with so I can start doing what I want with my life and not be forced to do what my parents wnat... Pls advice.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you feel as though your parents won’t support your passion. Due to our non-directive approach, we do not give out any advice. However, if you need assistance talking to your parents about your future career goals, we offer conference calls between youth and their parents. This could be an opportunity for you to express to your parents how passionate you are about gaming and music. When you turn 18, you would be considered an adult and can make your own decisions about your future. If you are interested in utilizing our conference call service or just need to talk to someone, feel free to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) or via email, live chat.
      Good Luck

• I have a 14 year old who has been missing for two day's and he is constlany running away

Comment

• Reply: I have a 14 year old

Hello,
      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      Some situations can be disappointing and even upsetting thus making things uncertain about what to do or where to turn.
      We understand and we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.
      Again tell us what it is you would like us to help you with and we will be happy to explore some options with you.

You might consider contacting The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children 1-800-843-5678 along with the police to file a missing child report if you have not done so already.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm 14 I live in Wisconsin.... I'm wondering if I runaway will I get in trouble because my family can't stand me no more I feel out of place my mom,step sisters call me names my brother won't even talk to me and I've "dissapointed them and want to sent me to Mexico till I turn 18 and I don't want to go I've tried talking to them but it just won't change there minds and I'm wondering if I could stay with a really close friend and not get in trouble by running away

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are dealing with a whole lot living with your family and their emotional abuse and threats to send you to Mexico. That sounds like a very stressful and hurtful situation. You so deserve to be treated with respect and to have a stable home.

The easiest way you can leave home is with your guardian's permission. Legally you can stay anywhere they say is okay. Maybe if you do have a friend's house you can go to, your parents could give you permission to go there or give your friend's parent temporary guardianship of you to help with enrolling you into school.

It sounds like your family is saying some really harsh things to you. Since they are saying that they want you to leave, if you do leave and they do not file you as a runaway with your local police, there is no way for authorities to know that you are a runaway. If they do file a runaway report for you with police and you are found, you would be returned home by police. Running away generally is not illegal, it is a status offense - meaning something you cannot due do to your age. So you would not be arrested, rather returned home.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever need. We can brainstorm your options and talk over your situation. Here at NRS we truly want to help.

Best,

NRS

• I'm 15 years old and I want to runaway Because my mother is very neglectful I need To get away from her as possible And I can't deal with anymore pleas help me before it gets worst

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear this is happening to you. No one deserves to be neglected especially by a parent. National Runaway Safeline is always here to help.

It sounds like what you’re going through is very stressful, it’s understandable that you’re needing to get away from your mom and that environment. Is there a family or friend could possibly stay with If you want to give us a call we would be happy to fill out a neglect report with you. You could also reach out to your school's counselor or a teacher, you trust, to confide in about what's happening at home. You always have the right to report the neglect. If you want more information about neglect you could call Child Help. It is the National Child Abuse Hotline. 1-800-422-4453, they also help youth find ways to get their custody transferred over to safe adults or family members in their lives.

If you do decide that running away is the best decision for you, we are here to help keep you safe. Our database has runaway/youth shelters, if you called in, we can look in your area for one. We’re not legal experts, but running away is not something you can be arrested for.

We hoped this helped and if you ever just need to talk just give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1800.786.2929 or you can chat with us on our website every day from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We look forward to hearing.

• i am 15 and trying to run away because my parents are abusive and i refuse to go to police. i have been reading a little on what to do but i want to know what to do from you guys. i am wanting to go somewhere that is a 10 hour drive away. i know ill be safe there

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi and thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear you’re going through a tough time, and we’re glad you found us for help.

First, we want to make sure you are safe. No one has a right to hurt you -- whether that’s physically, mentally, emotionally, verbally, etc – no matter what happened. We know you said you don’t want to get the police involved, but you always have a right to make an abuse report if you are being abused. If the option of a report is something that interests you down the line, we want you to know that we can make a report with you, for you, or we can simply provide the number for you to make the report yourself. We are here to help you in whatever way you’d like.

We are not exactly clear what you mean by wanting to know “what to do” but we can provide some general information that may be helpful:

If you leave your guardian(s) home without permission, you would be considered a runaway. At that point, your guardian(s) would most likely make a runaway report with the police. This means your name, birthday, picture, etc would be given to the police. How the police handle it from there would depend on the particular police station (some may just keep your info on file in case they pick you up in a park after hours, or some may actively go out looking for you).

If you run away (leave home without permission) and someone lets you stay with them KNOWING you are a runaway, your guardian’s have a legal right to file charges against that person called ‘harboring a runaway.’ These issues could further be complicated if you are traveling across state lines, or with anyone else.

We are non-directive here, meaning we do not tell anyone what TO do or what NOT to do. However, we do want you to be informed. If you want to call in to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, anyone here is ready to talk with you confidentially about your situation, and what your options are. Again, we are not here to persuade you to do anything, but we want to make sure you will be safe.

If leaving home immediately is necessary, we have a database of shelters all over the country that we could offer to search for you. We would rather have you safe and off the streets than trying to sleep in a park or somewhere that could potentially be unsafe.

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. We hope you will call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are comfortable, and we can explore your situation and options further.

Please stay safe,

NRS

• when i say i want to know what to do. i mean how to sucsefully run away. how do i stay say living on the streets. things like that. also i am not interested in an abuse report.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there again,

If you do decide that running away is your best option, we can definitely help try to keep you safe. If you're able to call into our safeline or use our chatting service, we can go over safety planning and try to find runaway/youth shelters for you stay.

Best, NRS

• I'm almost 15.I've had suicidal thought for years and know I don't wanna die anymore,I just wanna run away.This house is completely dysfunctional.I don't wanna go to the police because they might bring me right back home.I would run away but I need somewhere to stay and I still wanna go to school.I wanna go someplace where my parents won't be contacted.I'm really sick of being here but I don't want to live on the street.Please help me before things get worse

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at NRS. It sounds like you are going through a difficult situation. We are here to help you in any way we can.
          Home life sounds really stressful. It’s understandable that you’re wanting to get away from a dysfunctional home. Have you considered talking to a counselor about this? As far as the running away option goes; running away is not something that minors can be arrested for. If you do decide to runaway, we are able to look for runaway/youth shelters to keep you safe. Not all shelters need to inform parents when runaways get there, we’d have to look in your area to see which shelters are around and what their protocols are.

You mentioned that you’ve had suicidal thoughts before, we’re so glad to hear that you’re not wanting to die. Your life has worth and you deserve to be living. We want you to feel safe, and you can always call into our hotline for support if you are ever experiencing these thoughts, but another good resource to have for these situations is National Suicide Hotline, 1 800 273 TALK (8255).

If you want to talk more about this, you are welcome to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We can also be reached at any time at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
          -NRS

• how do i contact your chatline? and is it a messeging system or calling?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. You can contact us directly via our crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), via email, or live chat. We hope to hear from you soon.

• I’m 15 and wanting to run away

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there, thanks so much for reaching out today.

You mentioned wanting to run away at 15 so we want to talk a little bit about what that might look like. If you leave without your guardian's permission, they could attempt to file a runaway report with your local police. If you are found by police, you typically would be returned home. Running away is not usually illegal, it typically something you cannot do due to your age or a status offense.

Please call or chat us if you would want to talk more about your situation. We can talk through your options and help brainstorm your options. We also are here if you just need to talk to someone. We truly want to help you through this difficult time.

Best,

NRS

• Could I text the hotline instead of calling it ?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there, unfortunately we cannot respond to you via text. However we do have a chat service that is typically open from 4:30pm-11:30pm.

We look forward to hearing for you!

-NRS

• I am 15 years old and I snucked out of my house for a couple of hours to be with me boyfriend but my parents found out. they beat me in front of my boyfriends family they nearly broke my arm can i runaway and not be found for three years if im livin a my boyfriends sisters house what the worst thing that can happen please answer this????

Comment

• ccsmod16
          ccsmod16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, thank you for reaching out to NRS today. It sounds like you are in a really difficult environment at home. You do not deserve to be abused or beat in any way. We are sorry that is happening to you and that is happened in front of your boyfriend and his family.
          If you would like to, you always have the right to report this abuse. Child Help (childhelp.org, 1-800-422-4453) is the national child abuse hotline and they can help you file a report, get custody transferred to another family member or adult in your life and answer a lot of questions about abuse and your situation specifically. We can also help you make an abuse report via conference calling or we can make a report on your behalf if you want. If you want to use any of those resources, call us anytime, 24/7 1-800-786-2929. You can also call 911 if you are in immediate danger.
          We are glad to hear you have support from your boyfriend and his family.
          Running away is not a crime, but an adult allowing you to stay with them is a crime and could be charged with harboring a runaway. If you leave without parental permission, your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This means if the police find you, they will usually try to send you back home. If you tell them about the abuse, however, they are required to contact child protective services, who will likely open an investigation to see if it is safe for you to live there or not.
          It is understandable that you do not want to live with your parents anymore. We want you to be safe. You do have options and you are not alone. Please reach out via phone or live chat when it is open. We are here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

• Help me I was raped in may and my mom abused me I cant stay with my family there not understanding. They always put me down because I filed a case against my mom and her boyfriend who raped me. I live with my bi dad who seems to attack me every chance he gets he is verbal abusive to me and finds it funny when I start bawling my eyes out begging for help... I hate my life and started thinking about killing myself or running away I have places I can go but I know my dad wont let me what do I do? Please help me Im only 15

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been through a lot of traumatic situations lately. Home should be a place where you feel safe and your family should be providing you with love. We are here to offer you support and offer some options.

You shared that you have had thoughts of killing yourself. That was very brave of you to open up about these feelings and it’s understandable to have feelings like this with everything you have been through. You deserve to live and have the right to a happy life. If you are currently having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself, please feel free to contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or nationalsuicidepreventionlifeline.org. You can chat online or call them directly and everyone there is professionally trained to listen to you and help you find safe ways to cope with your feelings. Sometimes just having someone to talk to when you’re feeling overwhelmed can help you get through tough times.

You also shared that you have been raped. You did not deserve to have that happen to you. The physical and emotion affects from this can take some time to process and work through. That must have been extremely frustrating that you filed a case against your mom and her boyfriend for what he did to you, yet nothing has resulted from the case. You should not have to live with or be near your mom’s boyfriend. You mentioned that your dad is also very verbally abusive, so this does not sound like a safe option for you to live either.
          Since your safety and emotional wellbeing is what is most important, we can explore some other housing options for you. You said that you have thought of running away. Since you are 15, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police. This means if the police found you, they could make you return home. If both your dad and mom have custody of you, you can try asking your mom for permission to live somewhere else. For example, some of the places you mentioned you could go. Another option, is to think if there are any family or close friends that might let you live with them, temporarily or longer term. If you contact us directly, we can also look up youth shelters or alternative living arrangements in your area and we can also call them with you to see if they have space for you. You have several options of safe places you can go, away from your abusive family.
          From everything that you have been going through, it’s understandable to be scared and looking for lots of ways to get out. You can always call or chat with us, if you just need someone to listen and offer support. We can also help you look up counselors, there are even ones that specialize in trauma, such as rape. If you’re currently in school, you can also start by making an appointment to speak with your school counselor. There are people around you who you can lean on and who might be able to offer you comfort during this time. You deserve to be safe, loved and supported.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. You deserve to be happy and feel safe at home. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,

NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X