im 15 and wanting to run away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!

I'm a 15 year old girl and I want to run away from my mom and my step dad. I had a lots of fights with my mum because I went out with my friends everyday and she didn't liked it, and now she don't let me go anywhere, she took my phone so I can't talk to my friends. I don't feel that I'm part of the family. I want to go to my friend house but I'm scared that my mom going to call the police so her parents are going to be in trouble. I don't have anyone living near to us. My real dad is living in Hungary and I don't want to go back to Hungary. Is it possible to me to go to my friend house just for a couple of days without get her parents in trouble until I can ask the school for help?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a difficult time at home with your mom and step-dad. It is always hard when you feel like you don't belong. Everyone deserves to feel safe and wanted in their own home. Feeling isolated from your friends can also be a difficult situation. It is good to hear that you have a friend who wants to help you. We are not legal experts and are not qualified to give out legal advice, but we can provide some general information about what could happen if you decide to go and stay with your friend. As long as you are under the age of majority in your state, which varies by state but is 18 in most cases, your parents are able to file a runaway report if you leave home without their permission. If your parents decide to file a runaway report and the police find out where you are staying, it is possible that your friend's parents could be charged with harboring a runaway. One option you have is to call your local police anonymously during non-emergency hours and ask them how they handle situations where someone allows a runaway to stay with them. If you would like, you can call us here at NRS (1-800-786-2929) and we can help you make that call or if you would like to discuss your situation further and determine what other options you have we are available toll free 24/7 and are here to listen and help. Best of luck and we hope to hear from you soon!

• I'm 15 and i feel like my mom doesn't care about anything I do and I want to tin away but a the same time i feel like it going to hurt them but I just dont care on the outside but in the inside it hurts me to

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like your mom is not being a very supportive parent. With home life being so difficult, it’s understandable that you’d want to take a break from it.
      You mentioned not being sure if you want to run away, it’s totally your decision, and were non-directive so we can’t give advice or tell you what you should do. We do know some general information on running away. The act of running away isn’t illegal, so you can’t get arrested for it. We do see some police charging adults, who let runaways stay with them, for harboring a runaway. We offer to call out to local police with youth, to ask about their specific protocols on running away. So if you call into our safeline, that’s always an option. If you do decide to leave, we can also look up youth/runaway shelters in your area so you have a safe place to stay.
      We’re open 24/7, so were always a call away! We also have chatting service via our website, but those hours are restricted. You’re never alone 
      Be safe, NRS

• I'm 14 and have been thinking about running away. CPS took me away from my mom about 6 months ago and placed me with my step grandparents. Everytime I try to talk to my case worker she ignores me. I really can't handle living with them anymore and I want to know what would happen. Would I get placed with someone else in my family or in foster care?
    I honestly just want to live with someone else in my family, I can't stand living here anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're going through a lot right now, thanks for sharing a bit of the story.

Unfortunately it would be best to ask your case worker this, since we can't guarantee anything. It's likely that you'd be placed with someone else in your family if they are willing. Again though, it'd be best to talk to your case worker. If you're still unable to get in touch with her, you can continue to call and leave polite messages. You can also call the main office and explain that you've been trying to reach her for a while now. If you need to get away, you can call into our safeline, and we'll try to find a youth shelter so you have a safe place to go.

You can always call our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 if you'd like to discuss things further. We also have a chatting service via our website. We wish you the best of luck.

• I'm a 15 year old girl and want to run away because my dad is a low life with no job and he treats me like no child should be treated by calling me names and making me cook for the whole family everyday he has threatened to beat my a** if I ever ran away and my mom does nothing to stop him.... my aunt told me she would talk to my other aunt about me moving in with my grandma and grandpa my parents don't know but I'm guessing it's still considered running away even with family..... I just want to know what I should do
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-05-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I'm a 15 year old girl and want to runaway

Hello,
      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing your feelings about what’s going on.
      You do not deserve to be threatened and called names by your father this type of behavior is not your fault. It sounds like you have some support from relatives and that can be a good thing.
      It’s nice that you have someone to listen and recognize that the situation is no good for you. We understand and we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

Some situations can be disappointing and even upsetting thus making things uncertain about what to do or where to turn. If you would like to speak more about your situation and also explore some options contact NRS.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.

Again tell us what it is you would like us to help you with and we will be happy to explore some options with you.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm 15 and I want to run away or live with my dad cause I can't with my mom anymore , Ik she doesn't love me as she loves my brother well any suggestions?

Comment

• Reply: I'm 15 and I want to run away

Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are feeling down about things at home and might want to talk to someone about it.
          We understand and want you to know we are here to provide a listening ear.
          If you would like to speak more about your situation and explore some options please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
          NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

• I'm 15 and don't wanna live here anymore

me and my mom don't have a good relationship at all she gets mad at me for the dumbest reasons she doesn't ever defend me if one of her friends say something mean about me she just laughs cause she thinks it's funny but it hurts me because she's not like the other moms and I wish she was because she's the only thing I have left my dad molested me when I was 3 all the way till I was like 6 I told my mom she called the cops they delt with that but like she's the only thing I have left if she dies I don't have a mom or a dad uh it just kills me that she doesn't love me.

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there, thanks for getting in touch with us here at the National Runaway Safeline. What you’re going through seems incredibly tough, and it sounds like you have been through more than anyone should have to go through. You must be a very resilient person. You so deserve to be loved and to be treated with respect.

Above all, the things that have and are happening to you are not your fault. No one deserves to be abused, and no one deserves to not be loved or made to feel like they’re not loved. If you ever feel like you’re in danger, or feel really uncomfortable and threatened, never hesitate to call 911. Your safety is important, and it should never be violated.

Maybe something to look into to try to help your relationship with your mom is getting in touch with some kind of mental health professional. If you’re 15, your school should have a school counselor that might be able to help you with what you’re feeling. They might even be willing to have group counseling, and maybe that can make your mother understand how you are feeling. If you aren’t interested in counseling, you might try bringing in another trusted adult into the situation like a family member or family friend. Maybe they can help you talk to your mom for you. You so deserve to be heard and respected. We also have a conference call service here if you ever wanted to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and have a mediated conversation with your mom.

If you ever have any questions or need support during this difficult time, feel free to call or chat us at 1 800 RUNAWAY ( 1 800 786 2929). We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS

• My parents are hard to talk to because they short down and pick apart everything I say. I shut down whenever they do this and I can't talk, now my mom says she's gonna send me to a psych ward and I don't know what to do, I've been thinking about running away.

Comment

• Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home right now. Home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

It seems like you have had some problems trying to communicate with your parents and that must be really frustrating. It’s pretty common for youth to have this problem with their parents. National Runaway Safeline actually offers a free service called conference calling where you, your parent(s) and someone here can actually talk on the phone together. We are on the phone to help mediate and make sure everyone gets a chance to talk and share their feelings. And if there’s a specific topic, we can help facilitate a conversation so that you and your parents can work together to brainstorm any options or possible solutions to what is going on. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, feel free to give us a call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Another option could be to see if you have another family member, close family friend, teacher or school counselor that would be willing to join you and your parents in a conversation. It’s important that you feel like you have the support you need to speak to your parents and for your parents to truly hear what you are saying.

You also shared that your mom has threatened to send you away to a psych ward. It must be really scary and stressful that your mom has made a threat like that to you. You don’t deserve to have your family threaten you with things like that. It’s understandable that you’re looking for other options, such as running away. If you did chose to leave home, it would help to get your parent’s permission to leave home if you are minor. If you don’t get their permission, your parents would have the right to file a run away report with the local police. This means if the police found you, they could make you return home.

Some other options you could consider, would be to see if you have a family member or close friend that might let you stay with them for a while. Getting your parent’s permission to stay with that person could make things easier for you. That way you would have a safe place to stay and someone helping you with things like shelter, food, clothes, medicine, and going to school. Other options are youth shelters and we can help you look up youth shelters in your area.

This is a lot of information we have passed on, but the main thing is that you have lots of options where you can be safe and happy. We are here to support you in any way that we can. So if you think a conference call with your parents and us would help, give us a call. If you want to look into youth shelters, reach out and we will help you through the process, even help call shelters with you. You deserve to be happy and we are here to help.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
              NRS

Comment

• Hey im 15 and i want to run the ******** away. My parents make me do all these chores all day and the only time i have what i think is fun is sleep or playing videogames. Its gotten a little better from previos times but it just isnt good enough. I have a younger sister that is 12 or something but acts like a midlle aged black woman during her time of the month if you know what i mean. If u take offence to that im sorry. I live in a ********ty neighborhood next to an old war vet that smokes and swears all day and up to about a week ago a child abuser. His children moved out now to a freinds house. I ********ing hate life. I have twi freinds that committed suicide and one freind that is mentally spiralling out of control down the same path. I cant drink im 15. Not interested in get high and i cut myself.
                I dont have any family members that i can live with since theyre all on the other side of the continent.
                I think im ready to commit suicide and my parents dont know. They have ********ed up anything to do with talking to people about my feelings.
                I dont even have anything to live for now. Anything i like just kills itsel,f breaks or is taken away from me.i live in a poor familt in a ********ty home and i dont find pleasure in anything. I dont see what the point of living is if we die anyway. Give me some advice or something coz im gonna ********ing kill myself or run away and kill myself

Comment

• ccsmod15
                  ccsmod15 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

We’re so sorry to hear that you’re struggling with your mental health and feeling unsafe and unheard at home. It’s understandable that you feel this way after losing close friends, being treated unfairly by your family, and feeling that you don’t feel you have anyone that you can talk to about all of this. Thank you for talking to us and reaching out for help. You deserve to be listened to and to be able to prioritize your own health and safety.

You said that you’re considering suicide and don’t feel like you can talk to anyone about what you’re feeling. If you need to talk to someone or feel close to hurting yourself again, you can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They are staffed 24/7 with people who WILL listen, as are we at the National Runaway Safeline. You can call us at any time at 1-800-786-2929, or use our online chat at www.1800runaway.org/ when it is open. If you feel more comfortable texting, you can also text HOME to 741741 at any time and access the National Crisis Textline. You’ve already realized that your safety is important and reached out to us here for help. Your voice matters, and you deserve respect, empathy, and to be listened to. Each of those numbers is ready and willing to listen.

It also sounds like you’re considering running away due to feeling unsafe in your home and being forced to do chores instead of spend time for yourself. Everyone deserves to have somewhere safe, and have time to take care of themselves. We know you said that your other family members live very far away, but if you would like to discuss other options for safer alternatives to living at home or ways to make living at home better, please feel free to call or chat us and we can help you make a plan or find resources nearby. If you’re ever in immediate danger, you can always call 9-1-1 or text SAFE and your current location (address, city, state) to the National Safe Place (http://nationalsafeplace.org/text-4-help/) at 69866 to find the nearest safe place to stay and a local number to call for more help.

Thanks again for reaching out to us, we know how difficult it can be to talk about these issues. We’re always here to listen.

We wish you the best of luck,

NRS

• I'm 15 and my dad recently kicked me out because of stupid reasons, my mom didn't say much but agreed with them and so i've been with a friend with a few weeks, i don't want to go back to "home" because i hate it, my mum takes drugs and hits all of use when something is wrong, i saw her today and she said she will phone the police to take me back home and there's nothing i can do because i'm not 16, i was wondering what my options are, i really don't want to go back to that house nor looks any of them in the face again.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                  ccsmod6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. We're really sorry about what you've been going through lately with your parents. It sounds like it must be a really stressful situation for you and must even feel very isolating at times. It is definitely not okay for your mom to be hitting you and it sounds like an unsafe environment if she is taking drugs around you.

It is true that she can go to the police and have them bring you back home. What she would have to do is file a runaway report with them, and since you are 15 and not legally an adult yet they would be looking for you and would have to take you back home if they found you. You cannot get arrested or anything for running away. It does sound like you are going through some pretty intense things at home right now though, so if you feel comfortable you can always tell the police about what is going on at home. They would likely get child protective services involved to investigate whether or not it is safe for you to live at home. You can also always tell a trusted adult about what is going on at home and they may be able to help you come up with some options. You can call the National Child Abuse Hotline about any questions that you have about child abuse reporting or what abuse looks like, their number is 1-800-422-4453. They also have a website which is childhelp.org.

You can always call into our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help you out in the best way that we can. We can even call out to the National Child Abuse Hotline with you if you'd like. We wish you the best of luck with everything!

• Im 15 and dont want to stay here anymore

my father is way to controlling its like i dont even run my own life anymore and he says if i leave the only options i have is with my mom and or juvy and i cant go back woth my mom because i left from over there because of how SHE was and now im wrapped up in a situation that i reeeeally want to get out of but dont know how

Comment

• ccsmod0
                  ccsmod0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your home is a hostile environment. It must be really hard to live in a house where your father is controlling. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you are not allowed to live your own life. If you like you can always give us a call and we can connect a three-way call with you and your parents. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
                  If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
                  Be safe,
                  NRS

• Hi I'm 15 and want to run away. I live in Arkansas and really want to get to Mississippi to live with my family there. I hate living in this house. My parents don't beat me but they put a lot of mental and emotional stress on me. I've almost committed suicide. What can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're in a really tough and stressful sitation. You don't deserve to be treated like that by your parents. You deserve to feel safe and loved.

It sounds like all this stress is taking a toll on your mental health. Have you ever talked to a counselor? It might help you to talk about these things with a mental health professional in a confidential setting. There should be a counselor at your school, if you're interested in that. It's also good to talk with any friends that you trust and can confide in. Surrounding yourself with those who can support you is key.

It sounds like you have an aunt in Mississippi that you would like to live with. Have you talked to your aunt about what's going on at home? Maybe she can give some insight into your parents' behavior and how to deal with it. If your parents won't let you live with her, maybe they'll at least allow you a visit so that you can get a break from home?

You also mentioned having suicidal thoughts in the past. If that happens again, you can give the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline a call at 1-800-273-8255. You can also give us a call. Sometimes, it can help to just have someone to talk to.

Hopefully this helps, but if you'd like to talk further, please don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.

• Hi, I'm 15 years old and live in Arkansas. I want to live with my aunt in Mississippi, but my parents won't let me. I hate living here. My parents don't hit me, but they mentally and emotionally put so much stress on me. I've almost committed suicide. What can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there!

Please see the response to your similar post #274. If you have any questions or would like to talk more in depth about what you are going through please call or chat us. We really want to help.

Best,

NRS
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X