No announcement yet.

16 years old and I want to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 years old and I want to move out

    Hi my name is Cristal and I'm from New Jersey. I want to move and have my own apartmen . The reason is because I'm never good enough for my mom. She's mostly all my brother is the perfect son no matter what I do is wrong. I want to move out but I think if called the police they'll just take me back to her what should I do ???

  • #2
    Re: 16 years old and I want to move out

    Hi Cristal – Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re having a tough time with your Mom. Everybody should feel safe and loved at home. We’re sorry you don’t feel that way.
    In New Jersey, you become a legal adult at 18. Until that time, if you leave home without your parents’ permission, they can file a runaway report. If they do that, the police would most likely return you home when they found you. We are not legal experts but in some states, prior to turning 18, a youth can apply for emancipation. Being emancipated means that a youth has been deemed to be a legal adult and can make their own living arrangements. In New Jersey there is no law that outlines the emancipation process. However, emancipation may be considered if a minor has been married, enters the military, has a child/is pregnant, or has previously been declared an adult by the court. There are legal resources available in New Jersey to answer additional questions about emancipation but which agency you should contact depends on where you live in the state. In addition to those options, there might be other resources available to you like counseling services for you and your Mom.
    The National Runaway Safeline also offers resources that might help. In some cases, for example, we can help a youth talk to a parent if they are having trouble communicating. We’re here to listen and to help 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you call and tell us a little bit more about what’s going on we can help you figure out what options might be best for you.
    Good luck and thanks for contacting us,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    • #3
      Hey I'm makayla I live in Pembroke N.C and I'm 16 and I wanna leave home so bad bc my dad is always arguring over the most stupidest stuffed and , my mama wanted letted me move back n


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you haven’t been getting along with your dad and your mom has asked you to live with her.

        It sounds like you previously lived with your mom. You know best if that’s a better living situation for you.

        Assuming living with your mom is a safe and healthy living situation and that you can legally live with your mom, you next should think about discussing this with your dad. Since it sounds like you argue a lot, it will be a challenge to discuss this with him without him getting upset. Think about what your dad’s objections may be and be ready to have answers for them. If you leave with your dad’s permission, he may report you as a runaway which would be a status offense and could cause the police to start looking for you.

        Thank you again for reaching out to us and we hope this has been helpful. If you’d like to discuss this anymore, please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove