No announcement yet.

Place to live

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Place to live

    I am 16 and I have my high school diploma. I am sleeping on a couch at my dad's house and it is a toxic place to be and department of child services doesn't do ******** we're I'm from. What are my choices? I want a healthy and safe place to stay.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to NRS and sharing a bit about your situation. It is not okay that your dad is not providing a safe and supportive environment for you to live in. You certainly deserve to live somewhere that is healthy and safe.

    The easiest way to leave home before you turn 18 is with your dad's permission if you do not want to get child services involved. If he is okay with you leaving, some possible options could be with friends or family. We can also connect you with youth agencies in your area where you could stay at a shelter or a transitional living program (TLPs). TLPs are long-term housing programs where you can get the support you need to go to school, get a job, and work toward living on your own eventually.

    We understand that having these conversations with parents and making the decision to leave can be very difficult. Want to be a support for you while you navigate this challenging situation and help you brainstorm your possible options. We would like to talk more in detail about your situation in order to best help you. Do not hesitate to reach out anytime by phone (800-786-2929) or use our online chat services at, so that we can help.

    We look forward to hearing from you soon,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp