This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I fake my identity?

I am planning on running away within the next few months and I was wondering if I could fake my identity? I want to change my name to something different. I also want to lie about my age and say I'm sixteen (I'm thirteen but I could pass as a sixteen-year-old if I do exercises to lower my voice which I am working on. I'm a female but I still sound like I am really young). When I enroll in school, I can just say it has been a long time since I've been educated and I may need to catch up. I want to say I am sixteen so I can get a job somewhere. Also, can I say that my parents died? I don't want them to think that I am a runaway. Is any of this possible? I would be moving to a completely different state, possibly even across the country.

RE: Can I fake my identity?

Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. We are here to listen to you and here to help in any way that we can. Hopefully by helping you through this, there are others that are reading through the thread that will find it helpful as well. Gathering what you have written, you are thinking about leaving from home and changing your identity. Sounds like you have certainly put a lot of thought into what you would like to do in order to make your runaway successful as far as not getting caught. One thing that might be helpful to you at this time would be to realistically think about how all this might play out for you and what is possible to do and what is not.

In order to legally change your name on official government issued papers, you have to be at least 18 years or older. No matter how old you might sound or look, your ID will always state your real date of birth because it is impossible to get that changed at the DMV. If you were to say get a fake ID, when you apply for a job they usually run background checks on every individual with your birth certificate and Social Security number. Meaning that all your real paperwork will most likely be exposed. And as far as registering for school, it is to our understanding that you always need a parent or legal guardian to do that.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every day.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am kind of also thinking of running away and I am 13 but I kind of also need a fake Identity. I somewhat sound young, but I am trying to think about how I can successfully run away. For now, I am just planning

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing some of your plans. It's good you are giving this some thought in advance because running away is a very big decision to face. Some things to think about include safety, how it would affect your schooling and your future, how your parents would react, and the very real likelihood that you would be found. We'd like to talk about this further with you but need some more details to see how we can help. The best way for us to do that would be for you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us online via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7, are confidential, and are here to help.

Stay safe,
        NRS
    Working...
    X