Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17; louisiana. Running away without parental consent.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation at home – we are here to help!

In regards to your question about running away, the police may get involved if your mom files a runaway report. Since you are 16 and considered a minor, the police might take you back home if they know where you are. What the police decide to do will depend on your specific situation.

If you decide to run away and stay with a friend, here is some information about harboring youths in your state: In Louisiana, there is no specific law referring to the harboring of runaway youth. However, the state does recognize the crime of contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile when a person over the age of 17 intentionally helps or encourages a child under the age of 17 to absent himself/herself from home without the permission of a guardian.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions, and we will do our very best to help you. NRS is confidential and we are here 24/7. To speak with somebody regarding your specific situation, you can call 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800RUNAWAY.org.

Guest replied
    I’m 16. I need to get out of my house. I live in Gonzales with my mom and my brother stays here occasionally. She acts like her problems are bigger than everyone in the worlds and puts me down constantly. I can never do or say anything right. She gets jealous of my friend ms because apparently I “spend more time with them than I do with her” when she barely even lets me do anything with them. She always tells me “your only 16 you’ll do what I say so” and yes I know she can but the constant reminder irritates me. I can’t keep living here. From what I’m saying it doesn’t seem like much but I’m so emotionally drained from living here and I swear to god if I have to live here for another year I won’t be okay. I have a place wear I can stay and I want to run away and try and get emancipated but i don’t want my mom calling the police on me and bringing me back home because it’s only gonna make everything worse. If I run away and she calls the police could I get arrested. Or could stay with the person I’m staying with if I explain my situation?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a difficult time at home with your dad's strict rules, that cannot be easy. It's understandable you are looking to move out soon. Here at NRS, we truly want to inform you and be a support for you during this difficult time.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you leave home without permission, your dad may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, since you are 17, it is possible that police could have lesser protocols for you and not actively look for you or return you home. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you would like assistance reaching out to your local police.

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

Take care,

NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 I live with my father who is really strict with me going out places with my friends, I'm going to start working soon but could I get out of my house without any issues if I voluntarily get out on my own?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thank you for contacting us today at the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult time at home. You really don’t deserve to be mistreated or abused, especially not in your own home. You deserve to feel safe and cared for there. If you don’t feel safe at any time, you can call 911 and get the police involved. And if you want to report the abuse you could call Child Help (the National Child Abuse Hotline) at 1-800-422-4453. They are available to listen to you, believe you and help you file an abuse report. We can help with this too. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we’re her 24 hour a day/7 days a week. You can call us anytime.
    Losing your children has to be so hard, and we understand that you are feeling really sad. Your body has been through a lot, and it might be helpful to talk with an OB/Gyn doctor if you have access to one. If not, we can help you find a provider in your area. The United Way website, www.211.org, can help you locate services in your community too.
    This must be so hard but please remember that you are a good and valuable person. These people abusing you don’t define who you are. You say that you want to kill yourself, and we hope you realize that your life has real meaning. If you want to talk with someone about your feelings you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. They are well trained to help people just like you. Their number is 1-800-273-8255.
    Again, you can call us anytime (1-800-RUNAWAY). We are here to listen and here to help. We hope to hear from you soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I wanna run away I’m 14 and my mom can’t call cops unless she wants me to put child services on her. I’ve been abused physically and emotionally but every time I tell someone they don’t believe me. I can’t stop thinking about suicide because I don’t wanna wait till I’m 16 or 18 to move out with my boyfriend/BabyDaddy I lost my first son and daughter they were twins there passing was 5/16/19 my birthday was 5/5/19 in 14 now and I was cut by my boyfriends grandma and dad from seeing him. I need help!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi my name is kiya like ikea or kia the car but spelled different so i'm a twelve old running away from my home soon i live in lafayette louisiana if you live anywhere near there and are seriously going to run away hit me up maybe we can go together i plan on moving to main where the police cant do ******** about a runaway child they aren't even allowed to talk me into custody i have enough money for bus tickets up there and have a few friends up there and the reason i'm running away is because of my verbally and emotionally and sometimes physically abusive father and brother (and lowkey sexal for my dad) there not high or drunk or anything there just ass holes and i cant take it anymore please contact me my number is 3378898140

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there. thanks for reaching out to us. Sometimes that’s the hardest part.

It sounds like you’re going through a hard time, and we would definitely like to help you. If you call into us, we can talk more about what’s going on and discuss some options. We are here 24/7 @ 1-800-786.2929. If you prefer to chat, our website is www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    i cannot do this .. i honestly need help .

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: My son has ran away from home and is only 17

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    In most states 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

Generally speaking, a minor that encounters a police officer while reported as a runaway, may likely be detained until they can be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number of your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Does that make sense?
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    If you would like to speak more about your situation please contact us.
    To contact NRS call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at www.1800Runaway.org
    Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My son has ran away from home and is only 17 and staying by people I don't know...what can I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello,

It seems that your girlfriend is dealing with a troubling situation at home. We're sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we are not a legal resource here at NRS so we can't specifically say what your friend can do legally. It is likely that because she is 15, the only way she would be able to leave is if she is removed from her home by police or CPS. There aren't really ways for your firlfriend to leave home and move out at 15 because her parents are legally responsible for her. If you have any other questions or concerns you are welcome to call or chat with us anytime.

NRS

Guest replied
    Okay so my girlfriend is 15 and she gets treated different from her soster her parents are losing their house and they yell at her for everything. They tell her shes a mistake and stuff. She does everything around the house her sister dont do anything and she still gets yelled at. They treat her bad she is gettin emotionally abused how can she move out without her parents permission??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im 17 and i live in baton rouge. I cant take this anymore. The verbal abuse..im failing in school...im depressed...and no one cares. Im having too many problems and need to get away. My mom is also threatening to kick me out and i have no where to go. She wont let me work so i have no money and everytime i try to tell an adult they just ignore me. I need help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    replied
    RE: I'm 17 years old, I want to leave home.

Hello there –

Thank you for reaching to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We hope that by helping you on our public forum that others that might be in similar situations or the same questions, can read through and find our reply helpful. From your post, it sounds like you are going through a very tough time right now dealing with everything. Seems like it’s getting very overwhelmed with everything that has been going on with your parents not really agreeing to the relationship between you and your boyfriend. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on and thinking about what would happen if you did run away. Hopefully we can help you with some of those questions you have.

As we have stated many many times throughout our post is that we aren’t legal experts by any means. We can only give you information as to what we know, but cannot really tell you for sure what would happen. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home.

It sounds like you have been thinking about this plan to live with your boyfriend. What would your overall plan be (i.e long term housing, transportation, financial stability, access to food/clothes, school, etc.)? Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t. If your parents ends up making a runaway report with the local police and you are planning on staying with someone else, your parent can press charges on that family for harboring a runaway when they are not giving accurate information on your whereabouts. Not necessarily because of the age difference. That could lead to a number of different legal issues. So that might be something to keep in mind as well.

Another thing that might be helpful to think about during this time is what your life is going to look like if you were to move in with your boyfriend. You have stated that he lives alone and can support himself, but it might be a huge change from living at home to living with someone that you haven't lived with before. Factoring in these kinds of thoughts into your overall plan, again can possibly help you in your decision to leave (i.e what's your role in the house, are you going to be working, how long are you going to live there, what happens if you break up, what happens if you realize down the road that you can't live together and he kicks you out, etc).

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30 PM CST that is available through our website.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X