No announcement yet.

16 and want to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 and want to move out

    I live in PA I’m 16 and graduated I have a car, permit, and a job. I have a place to go with a roommate who’s 19 who I’ve known for almost 2 years and a co-signer. My dad and I fight constantly and he takes his anger out on be he’s never been abusive, but he puts me in unsafe situations such as going 150 on the highway with my friend and I in the car. So I feel as though there’s no reason to stay at home with him seeing as I could support myself. I know there’s not a set law on emancipation in PA but would I be able to get emancipated with this?

  • #2
    Hello there -

    Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to explore the responses on this thread to see if they can help you. It is our thought by helping you during your crisis, that there are others out there going through the same situation can look at this thread and find the answers that they need as well. Of course if you need additional support you are more than welcome to reach out to us via our online chat or our 24/7 hotline.

    As you have probably read from our other replies on this page, is that we aren’t legal experts nor can we tell you want you should or should not do. You know your situation a lot better than anymore here, so only you can make a choice in your life and bear whatever consequences that come from it; good or bad. If you were looking into emancipation we can give you some general knowledge of that process, but again we are not legal experts. Those laws regarding emancipation are different in every state, so we can’t tell you exactly how it works just that you have to be 16 years or older to even file. What we know is that getting emancipated by the court is a process that does take a while. There also needs to be proof that the youth is able to support him or herself on their own. Other requirements sometime indicate that they have had to have lived independently from their parents for a certain amount of time, wishes to be free from parental control, has an acceptable plan for independent living, and be able to manage their own financial affairs. So it doesn't look like there is going to be a fast track to getting emancipated or someone to send you paperwork because it does go through the court system and you will have to wait for a judge to see you and hear your case. Other information that we have regarding emancipation is that you can also become a legal adult if you enter a valid marriage or are serving on active duty with the US Armed Forces.
    So it looks like the first steps into getting emancipated would be to reach out to your local family court and talk to someone about the process and/or get a lawyer to help you further.

    Hope this information helps!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove