Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and want to leave home... Please help me

My name is ********, I live in Michigan. My parents have been split up since I was a year old. They have a court custody agreement where I can choose what parent I want to live with. Right now I live with my mom. I hate being here. She uses me as a baby sitter and maid... I'm basically her house slave and blames me for all three of her divorces. She's even taken all of my money I had saved up for a car that was over $600. I don't want to go live with my dad because there is no room for me and he had always been mentally abusive. I want to leave home so bad but I don't have permission. My boyfriends parents offered me to live with them while my boyfriend was away at college. I want to live with them but my parents won't let me leave. It's gotten so bad at home that sometimes I have to urge to just kill myself. Please help me!

Re: 16 and want to leave home... Please help me

Hello,

From what you wrote, it looks like the primary issue is not wanting to stay with either parent, and instead prefer to stay with your boyfriends’ parents. In most states, one has to be eighteen years of age in order to be considered an adult and be free to choose where to live, unless a court determines otherwise. In some areas the police might handle runaway cases at 17 a little differently, where they may not take a report or just check if the youth is safe, but that's usually a rarity. Going to live with your friends parents - without parental approval - could potentially get them in legal trouble.

When you call NRS at 800-RUNAWAY, we can explore the situation at home and offer legal resources. Should there be abuse (including verbal) at home, we can discuss options for reporting that to protective services…so you stay safe. When things get real bad at home, NRS is here for you 24/7 and the Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 is available as well. We are so glad you are reaching out for our help.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X