Im 14 i live in Ohio and i want to run away to Californa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 14 i live in Ohio and i want to run away to Californa

Hello! Im 14 years old and i would like to run away to Californa. I really hate living with my parents, theyre forcing me to enroll in a school that spikes my depression, anxiety and makes me have suicidal thoughts and i really cant take it anymore. Theyre forcing me into a future i dont want for myself and im ready to leave. Ive been reaserching and I have a plan for when i leave.
    -Get a job and save enough money till i turn 15 and i can legally purchase and leave on a greyhound bus
    -In Cali they cant refuse education so i do plan on continuing school
    But i do have some questions about the laws regaurding runaways in the two states.
    1. Can my mother/father force me to come home ?
    2. If the school suspects me of being a runaway do they have the authority to call the police and get me home?
    3. Do parents have to consent to emancipation?
    4. If I tell my friend can she be held resposnsible for not telling the police my whereabouts?
    5. Can my parents face consequences?
    6. Can I get a job legally in Cali at age 15?

I know its very discouraged but ive talked to my parents multiple times and they wont hear it and it is seriously wearing on my mental health and i dont know what else to do. Id rather run away and make mistakes then be forced into something i dont want to do for the rest of my life.
    Thanks!

Re: Im 14 i live in Ohio and i want to run away to Californa

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that things have been so hard for you at home. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you reached out to us.
    It sounds like you have been depressed and are having suicidal thoughts. You are not alone, you don’t have to go through this alone. If you ever feel you are going to hurt yourself you could call 911 or the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or live chat with them at http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline...elineChat.aspx . If you would like, you could call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we would be happy to talk to you, explore your options and provide any resources. It sounds like you have done a lot of research already. Running away can be hard in many situations. You might want to think about how much food, rent and other living expenses you might incur and if that job might be able to cover those expenses. In many situations it can be difficult to obtain housing when you are a minor and your parents may be contacted. Also while every state is different you would need a social security number to get a job and the number of hours you can work can be limited by law. Your employer would have more details about those laws.
    While we are not legal experts just speaking in general terms if you are to leave home and a police report is filed the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway and could get in trouble with the law. In many cases the school can involve the police if they are concerned about your safety. You might also want to keep in mind that some schools may need your parental consent or might need to inform parents for you to enroll in school. In some situations the schools might involve the police if they believe you are living by yourself and your safety is at risk.
    You mentioned emancipation. Emancipation is a process which is through the court system and what that generally entails is that you need to prove that you have a job, can support yourself, and a good citizen. You don’t need your parent’s permission to start the process but in most cases they may be involved in proceedings. If you call us and provide your state and city we would be happy to provide you with those numbers.

That is a lot of information. If you would like you could call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we would be happy to walk you over it and answer any questions. You are doing great by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi there I’m via and I want to run away to Ohio to meet up with a person that I feel is going through the same things I am for example she thinking about suicidal things, and both thinking we’re crazy. I know little about her we met on a game and I’m positive that she’s not a predator. Her name is Ashly and I’m wondering how to get around in Ohio to find her and how I could get to Ohio in the first place. I’m gonna run away secretly and probably buy a plane ticket or go on the gray hound bus I’m still thinking about it but all I know is that I’m not happy living here with my family and it’s time to leave. I’m 13 years old and I could really use some advice since have no expirence with living on the streets in a place that I don’t know with or with out that person. Thanks

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. It sounds like you are thinking about running away. Having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. It can be very dangerous to met without you never met in person. If you leave home, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they may return you home. The easiest way to leave home is with parental consent. You could try asking your family is they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. If there is any abuse at home, you could contact CPS. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Hi I'm Priya and I live in Arkansas. I want to run away to California and live with my dad and be with my boyfriend. I had recrrece moved from California but my parents forced me to come stay in Arkandas with my sisters and Mom. I'm only 12 but I'm going through hell. When it gets 100 degrees or higher, my grandparents turn off my A/C jus to torture me and my sisters. They don't really like my sisters because my sisters are black and my grandparents are prejudice. Me and my younger sister want to run away but here's the thing, our dad is actually my step dad and he was never married to my mom. If I runaway then she would file a kidnapping charge against my dad cuz she doesn't like them and my mom is jus evil like that. But if she does press a charge against it then could I press charges against my grandparents? Ive been goin through a lot in my life...in and out of foster homes, probation, and a bunch of other things. There are times when I jus wanna stab a knife in my stomach. But I couldn't do that to my boyfriend cuz I'm all he has, his mom kicked him out and everything. And my sisters too, I can't do that. I jus need help of wat I should do, I'm goin through child neglection. Should me and my sister run away?

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Priya,

I am glad you reached out. It sounds like you are going through a lot and things are really hard for you right now. I am sorry to hear that the situation makes you want to hurt yourself. I am glad that you have reasons that keep you from doing that but those are still very serious feelings. It sounds like you are really feeling bad in your current situation. It makes sense that you would want to leave to go stay with your dad in California. You are right that if you left without permission and your dad doesn’t have legal custody then your mom would be able to contact the police to bring you back. If your dad let you stay knowing that you didn’t have permission, he could also get in legal trouble.

You mentioned in your post that you feel like you and your sisters are being neglected and you would like to press charges against your grandparents. Child abuse reporting is definitely an option in situations like that. The National Child Abuse Hotline (Child Help) is one resource that can help with that. Their number is 1-800-422-4453. If you are interested in child abuse reporting but don’t feel comfortable calling yourself, we can help with that here at our hotline (1-800-786-2929). We are 24 hours. You are also free to call if you would just like to talk about your situation or different options.

Stay safe, NRS

Hi im 15 and want to runaway bc my mom acts like a kid amd im always argueing with the family the only reason i dont do anything is for my sister should i run away if i got a bus ticket or plane ticket and where should i stay

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for writing.

It looks like things are serious, as there is arguing and you are contemplating running.

If you feel that it’s not possible to stay at home, NRS can help you stay safe and off the streets. One option is we can check for possible shelters in your area. A stay at a shelter would be temporary, unless it is determined it is not safe for you to return home.
        To buy a bus or airplane ticket, there likely will be age limitations and youth are typically accompanied. Hotels and apartments also have age restrictions, and adults cannot legally hide you from your parents.
        Staying out on the streets is not safe, as there are predators looking to harm youth. Also, you would need to think about how to reliably earn money for basic needs like food.

Before things at home become difficult again, think about who you can talk to. That could include a friend, relative, teacher, counselor, or coach. If you want to talk to us at NRS, we are available 24 x 7 at 800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We want to hear more about the communication problems at home, and help elicit options.

-NRS

I'm 13 years old and I wanna runaway and stay at my close friends house my mom's never home and when she is all she does is try to fight with me she tells me to grow but when I act grown she tells me I'm still a baby and not an adult she don't trust and I'm tried of it I really don't know what to do cause if I do run away and she finds me shells beat me

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your situation. It sounds like things are very difficult at home with your mom. First off, it is important to know that everyone has the right to feel safe and supported in their home, you mentioned that you are concerned if you left home you mom may beat you, our goal at National Runaway Safeline is to help ensure you are safe and supported including awareness that physical violence is not okay and safety is absolutely a right of yours. It seems like the arguments you have had with your mom are very frustrating. You could consider speaking to her or to other family members and friends about how you are feeling and working on a plan for ways to make sure you feel more supported at home. We at the National Runaway Safeline are here to help in anyway we can, whether that be providing resources, talking through options, or listening to your situation. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are confidential and available 24/7 either at 1-800-786-2929 or online at www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of Luck,

NRS

Hi I am 11 and my parents make me feel like I am nothing to them. I want to run but it would shatter my friends and grandmother. They never say they love me never hug me and when my aunts dog died my mom told me to get over it. I want emancipation but I am afraid of being to young. I have suicidal thoughts. I need out and have a plan and bags packed but I am hesitent I need help. I cant help but feel that I am nothing.

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear about the treatment you are having from your parents. It must be quite hard to not have you parents say they love you and hug you like would like. It makes sense to feel how you are feeling if you are being treated so poorly. We would want you to know there are people who love you, as you mentioned your friends and grandmother who you feel would be crushed if you left. It must also be challenging to deal with suicidal thoughts. You are dealing with a lot and it is okay to feel like there are reasons you may feel it’s better to not be here sometimes but, we would love to encourage you to explore all the reasons you should. A helpful organization you may want to reach out to is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. They have a website, suicideprecentionlifeline.org, and a hotline 1800-273-8225. This organization has professionals trained to help work through those thoughts when you have them. As far you wanting to leave you home, though it is not illegal, it may be best to consider all of your options and if you have done that already it is best to have a safe plan. It may be beneficial to talk to an adult you trust, other than your parents, about how you are feeling and wanting to run away. If you choose to leave the home, it may be helpful to inform someone you trust that you are safe. We offer a message service where you could call our hotline 1800-RUNAWAY and leave a message for your parents and they can contact us to hear that message and leave one for you. Both of you all will have to call us in order to leave and hear those messages. It may also be helpful to talk to a family member first to see if they can somehow help so that you do not have to run away. If you would like some assistance maybe discussing how you can go about talking to someone we would love to talk with you about that. Feel free to give us a call at any time by contacting out hotline or chatting with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org. Best of luck to you.

Hello, I’m a 14 year old girl that lives in Ohio thats want to runaway. At home my mom loves me although she does have outburst sometime. Also, my father doesn’t see as his child I am related to him and he gives me a hard. My father haves his distant family to live with us. As I feel very uncomfortable with them I try to them not to have them stay as I have a experience with a family meanber watch me and my sister sleep. However nothing had help I suffer from anger problems, depression, anxiety and Physical problems. Everyday I want to run away I even made a plan to save money for 2 years to have enough to start a new life some where. I don’t know what to do as I also need answer such as:
      - Could I start a new life? (Is it possible)
      -What is the consequences for running away?
      - Should I talk to my parents about it?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the strength to share your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and what you’ve been dealing with. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and you do not deserve to be treated that way. In regards to your questions about talking to your parents, we would absolutely encourage to do this, in particular about your feelings, what you’ve been dealing with psychologically, and that a family member has been watching you and your sister sleep.

Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. As you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. Guardians could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.

In regards to your plan of starting a new life, it would likely be easier to do so when you are legally an adult. We would encourage you to consider guardianship, school enrollment, how you would take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, healthcare), and how you would care for your safety if something were to happen. If you were interested, we also offer conference-calling as an option, where we would mediate a constructive conversation between your parents and yourself in order to reach an understanding.

We are sorry to hear that you are coping with depression and other issues. If you were interested in professional mental health services, a good resource could be the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) at 1-877-726-4727 and online at samhsa.gov. Additionally, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a resource with support groups among other services, at 1-800-950-NAMI and online at nami.org.

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution that you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
        We hope this information was helpful and take care.

I am 14 years old and I have been having issues just with being able to cope with life I just don’t understand why me. I live in Ohio and want to just run away and start all over it would hurt my mother brother and whole family but I’m done with it all. I have recently came out as gay to my family and I feel like it’s been different to them. My dad doesn’t know yet but he’s not going to like it and plus me and him have got in an argument almost once every two days for a while. I know that if I go back to school being gay I’m going to have no friends and just be that weird gay kid. I am a very insecure person I have had thoughts of suicide and planning my runaway for a while but I always ask myself do I look good do I look skinny enough is my smile not good enough and I’m just done with having to put a fake face on for everyone one because I’m never happy. I have been kicked around the house by my dad once when I was little with my brother but I’m done and want to start off new and not have to worry about my insecure self

Comment

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/

You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

Stay Strong,
        NRS

Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860; https://www.translifeline.org/
        Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386; text “START” to 678678; chat at https://www.thetrevorproject.org/
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X