Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 almost 18

Hi,I live in the state of Indiana and I will be 18 in two months. I currently live with my father and have no other family member to live with. He is making me pay for my own food unless I work for him. I'm also on medications for depression, and he is not taking action to continue to get them refilled. I have a place where I am able to stay where I will be taken care of, and I would like to go there. Being almost 18, I don't want to have to go to foster care or a juvenile center. Even though I am not able to completely support myself on my own, I have an older friend who is willing to let me stay. I'm not making much money with my dad, and I would be making more if I had an actual job. Am I allowed to leave and live with my friend without his permission?

Re: 17 almost 18

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you have a very troublesome situation going on. We are not legal experts here so anything we say is only a possibility and not a guaranteed outcome. With that said each state and even sometimes each county can do things a little differently so for the most accurate information calling your local police department’s non-emergency line could be an option if you feel comfortable. Based off of what we do know since you are under the age of 18 you are supposed to live with your legal guardian unless other arrangements have been made that your guardian knows about. If you were to leave home and your dad found out where you were and sent the police they would be required to take you back home to your father. If you feel comfortable, talking with your father about what is going on and what you plan on doing. This is only if you are comfortable doing so. Based on what you had said earlier when you said your father won’t get your medication refilled sounds like there is a little bit of neglect going on. Talking to somebody about this could help out your situation if you are comfortable with doing so.
    It sounds like you have a lot going on but it also shows a lot that you have been able to come this far and reach out for help, that is something worth being proud of. You are more than welcome to call us at any point in time and we will be more than happy to talk and listen and help out in any way we can.
    Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X