No announcement yet.

Michigan 17 year old Rumaway laws

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Michigan 17 year old Rumaway laws

    My best friend hates his home life. He is verbally abused and his family uses him like a slave. He's currently 16 and will be turning 17 in January. I've read on many different places online that I'm Michigan, running away from home is an offense for only people 16 years and younger. Also, harboring a runway only applies to someone 16 years or younger. I have offered him my house to move into because he desperately wants out. Is it legal for this to happen without parental permission? Also, we've looked into emancipation and it says you need to be able to support yourself and have a stable job, but his father won't let him work anywhere but at his own shop, in fact, when he even tried to apply for another job they became furious, so I'm not sure that he can be considered financially stable in that way. We've also noticed that in Michigan it looks like the parents have to give the okay for emancipation unless there's a very obvious and good reason for it. Frankly, he's not getting physically abused (anymore, he did in his early childhood, but it was more punishment based) and I'm not sure verbal abuse is enough of a "legit" accuse. He's gay, and his family treats him awfully because of that. Honestly, he's miserable there. He's been suicidal as of recently and I care so deeply for him and I just want to do what's best for him. I'm not sure if him running away is the best option, but we don't know what else to do! I'm also concerned for my families well being cause I don't want to cause a giant legal burden for my mother, and I don't know of me being 18 will affect this legally as well. I just feel very lost for what the right thing is to do

  • #2
    Reply: Michigan 17 year old Rumaway laws

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    It sounds like you are very concerned about your friend’s situation at home as well as his emotional state.
    It is very good of you to want to reach out and help him.
    We understand your concern about the legal issues that could come up by you helping him with a safe place to stay.
    We are not legal experts so we can can’t speak to what the law may or may not be in regards to his leaving home or the aiding or harboring runaway laws in the state of Michigan.

    We may be able to help by providing you or your friend with information about legal aid services in your area. Give NRS a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit (Live chat).
    How does that sound?

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp